Hello Everyone! My first Winter with Chickens

AshMckenzzz

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2016
Hello! I am new to the chicken world and to this blog!

I live in Northern California and this will be my first 'winter' with chickens. as you can tell from my quotation, winters are fairly mild here. Heavy rain and occasional cold spells (low 30's at night)

Anything I should be aware of? Change in their diets etc. Look forward to connecting with you all!

We also, as I'm sure most of us experience, had to cull a rooster due to zoning laws. I've searched far and wide for recipes as I would not want him to go in vain! Any suggestions? He was about 18 weeks or so. He was an Americauna so I'm not sure if that makes a big difference.

Last edited:
G’Day from down under AshMckenzzz
frow.gif
Welcome!

Living in Aus, I am not going to be much help with regards Winter but I do know there are many threads regarding winterizing your coop. You might be interested in the current Topic of the Week which is Kitting out the Coop for winter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1144804/topic-of-the-week-kitting-out-the-coop

You also might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I think there are also a couple of threads pertaining to chicken recipes that you might want to search.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Very good advice and links, so I'll just say hi.

best wishes
CT

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Thank you all! They have been having a great winter so far! And thanks for the recipe ideas, we did just roasted chicken and it turned out great! I was also recently watching a lifestyle show, The Chew and they did a Coq au Vin. Which I guess is an old peasant dish for old roosters and hens. Leave it to the french to make something delicious! I'll try that next.

Back
Top Bottom