Hello from Chicago

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Build it so you can walk in it.;)

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<< Click there to go to that thread.

BYC has an APP!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Good luck with your coop build!
I strongly recommend a walk-in style coop with lots of ventilation and hinged top windows. If your run is built with a solid roof and is as predator proof as the coop, you never have to close the pop door and the birds will come and go as they please.

-byc-clouds.png

hello-smiley.gif
Great job doing your planning and building first! Here's a tip almost everyone wishes they knew when they started: Build the coop bigger than you think you need. More chickens are sure to come later on!

Here's a few links that'll help get you prepared:
How Much Room Do Chickens Need

Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!

Predator Proofing

Start Raising Your Chicks Outdoors

Best wishes starting your new chicken adventure!
flappyChicken.gif

I guess my criteria are: egg production, appropriate for Chicago winters (and summers), good for beginners, etc.

In the last week or so I've landed on a list of what seems appropriate:
- Jersey Giant
- Plymouth Rock
- Rhode Island Red
- Easteregger
- Buff Orpington
- Wyandotte

I'd like to get a mix of breeds, but wondering if it is important or helpful to have multiple of the same. We will likely start with 4. In our community we are limited to 6, so might add 2 more at some point.

Question: we are also restricted from having any roosters. If I'd like to start with chicks, is there any way to ensure that we get all hens? Seems that might be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom