Hello from us in England.

View attachment 1592381

View attachment 1592383 Glad to have you join the group! If your chickens are only 3 yrs old, they're probably not done laying "forever". My girls laid great through their first winter, a little less the second, and then completely quit the 3rd winter, but started again in the spring. All breeds are a little different, but usually chickens won't go through their first true molt until about year 2 or 3, at which point their body shuts down egg production to be able to produce new feathers, and it usually also happens to be the time of year when days become shorter. Laying hens need at least 14 hrs of daylight to stimulate the pineal gland which also regulates egg production. So sounds pretty normal to me.

As far as your yard goes,
I think many of us have that same problem...
View attachment 1592378
Hi FlappyFeathers, Thank you for your reply, very informative and helpful. We like the way you describe your garden as "Landscaped by the Chickens" Ours seem to have the idea that they are entitled to get in and destroy whatever they want. Bless them. Have a nice day

Welcome Robert & Olwen
Bonjour from France :frow
full

,I,m from England -Staffordshire-
Welcome to you too! We have a UK thread (which I and some other expats also are on as there are no French threads!) that you should come and see us on:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/uk-member-please-say-hi.655508/page-535#post-20665700

Back
Top Bottom