JugheadMarine

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2022
Thats a The Cars song, for you 80's rock kids. I'm new here and have a flock of 29 guinea fowl (not counting 5 more chicks already this year with about 50 more eggs in incubator) most are purple and 2 are lavender and there's a few last year fowl that are obviously bi-racial, lol, 5 peafowl (a gorgeous 3 yo dark purple black shoulder piebald peacock named Larry, 2 supposedly 3 1/2 yo green piebald peahens, (first year laying for Queen I took 10 eggs for the incubatorand shes sitting on at least 4, dont think Princess is laying yet) a second dark purple black shoulder piebald peacock that i hatched in an incubator and a white peafowl, Whitey Ford, (sings the blues) that I hatched last year, (I don't know the sex of it, as I don't know how to tell) the young Purple, named after my favorite color and one of my favorite bands and is in his color description, Deep Purple, I know is a cock, as his neck has already colored up nicely. I was hoping he was a hen, so I would have a purple hen, for Larry. Then here's a Muscovy duck hen named Quacky Chan, a Peking Duck drake named Duck Norris and a almost 2 yo white rhea (drake, cock, or ?) male named Doc. Whew, I think that's everybody! Now for some questions.

(1) What IS a male rhea called?
(2) Does anybody sell/ship rhea eggs or chicks or know someone that does? (Preferably inexpensively, as I spent a fortune on a grey pair and a white pair and ended up with just Doc. The other three didn't make it to 9 months. The white hen(?) got a stick lodged in her throat sideways, the 2 Grey's died rather close together from a (harmless to humans) bacteria in my well that kills birds according to the vet. I had also lost a peacock and 2 Peking ducks and a rhea, around the same time. I shocked my well and fixed the issue and have a regular shock schedule now.)
3) Doc is a "teenage boy," to put it discretely, and he is constantly "hooking up" or "Netflix and Chill" with the fence. So much so, that his beak and head get raw and bloody from rubbing against the fence during his pleasure episodes. Is there anything that I can do for him or get for him, to help him out? It's rather sad and I'm worried that he will really hurt himself. I want to get him a mate, but haven't found any yet.
4) How do you sex a white peafowl before it's old enough to grow out it's fan feathers, if it's a cock or lay if its a hen?
5)Do you think that Queen laid all 14+ eggs, or were part of them Princesses?
6)Do peahens lay at different times? If Queen laid the 14 eggs, might Princess start laying soon or sometime this summer?
7)Does anybody have or know of anybody that has, Dark Purple peahen(s), chicks or fertile eggs for sale? Larry needs a couple purple ladies. My son got Larry, as a chick, from his buddy, who also gave him the two eggs last year. Unfortunately his buddy passed away, so he isn't an option.
8)Any suggestions on how to get rid of my surplus of guinea cocks? Everyone only wants hens, so I will only sell either cocks or pairs and I have far too many cocks. I currently have 9 hens and 20 cocks. I butchered 8 last fall and it was way too much work, especially since they taste like turkey, to me, and I'm not a huge fan of turkey.
9)the Peking Drake and Muscovy Hen are separate, currently, but the drake hangs out along the guinea/peafowl/muscovy enclosure and seems lonely and that he wants to be with them. Is that OK? Will the muscovy and Peking mate? If so, will the eggs be viable?
10)Where can I find fertilized Muscovy Duck eggs?

Please answer any or all of these questions if you can. I would greatly appreciate it.

Now for my "story." I'm a 100%, service connected, disabled Marine. I have an amazing Argentinian Mastiff (Dogo) service dog named Angus. We (Angus and I) have a 20 acre farm in southwestern New Mexico, just off of I-10 near Deming. I have 2, soon to be 3, cozy well appointed, but rustic cabins and a huge modern 35 foot triple slide out RV that I rent out on AirBNB which affords me the opportunity to have my own therapeutic petting zoo, that I LOVE to share with my guests and visitors, by appointment. There currently is not an "admission fee," but any donations of hay, grain, treats, equipment or cash, etc will gladly be accepted. We also accept help from local volunteers, but could use a few more. A lot of our critters are rescues. We are trying to build with breeding pairs, to help recoup the large investment it takes to care for them all. If they can either help pay their own way through offspring or other salable items, like eggs, fleece, or most importantly, smiles, why not? Plus, who doesn't love babies?

Our critters currently, but subject to change, are 7 Registered Miniature Texas Longhorns, our Bull is a 2 yo named Hulk, 5 heifers Brownie, Dailey, Ladybug, Miss Kettey, and Grenada. Ladybug gave birth to a little bull calf July 1st, 10 days ago, that I named Independence Day, or Indy since he was born during the 4th of July weekend. 2 of my guests saw him right after he was born, but thought that I knew, so didnt say anything. I didn't see him until the 4th. Apparently he was hiding in the Mesquite bushes everytime I was out feeding or giving a tour. We have a quarter horse named Felix that is about 26 or 27 and is a rescue. He herded cattle everyday for 17 years on the Nunn Ranch and came here to retire and came with the ranch. The donkeys names are Rhett and Althena, both are rescues and came with the property. Our miniature horse is a rescue named Pawnee and is about 16 or 17, we think. We have 10 alpacas, all are rescues. The first, Tina, was rescued near Ft Worth. I was picking up the Longhorns in Bowie, TX and had been looking for miniature donkeys. There is a donkey rescue in Claiborne, TX, so we went and picked up Jack and Jill and poor Tino was right in the middle of a herd of about 40 donkeys. I said to my daughter-in-law, "they have an alpaca!" The guy showing us around said, "he's up for adoption, too." Without missing a beat, I said, "load him in the trailer too." A friend's wife fell in love with Jack and Jill (who was pregnant and due any day) but I love them too, so I wasn't interested in rehoming them. (Then the opportunity to rescue 5 more alpacas and a Llama came up and I can see them whenever I like, so I extremely reluctantly, traded them for the funds to rescue the new mob of alpacas and llama.) On the way back home, my daughter-in-law started reading about alpacas, since I knew nothing about them. Oh, so you're supposed to have at the very least three of them! Great, now I have to find 2 more. I found a mob of 3 ladies, Roxanne, (who just gave birth to Precious about 3 months ago) Natasha and the third girl was 2 1/2, but was never named, so we named her Tina (from Napoleon Dynamite), my son's idea. He originally wanted to name Tino, Tina, we said no. We also rescued 2 Nygerian Dwarf goats and they had twin boys about 2 1/2 months ago. We have three hogs that are rescues, but are looking for good homes. Pigs eat too much and are too much work, as they are constantly breaking stuff. Big Papa is a boar and weighs around 500 pounds, Lola is around 400 pounds, as is sassy. When they rub up against a pole or a fence, things get broken or damaged. They are awesome, especially Big Papa, he's the sweetest and funniest pig ever. But the amount of work and food, oh yeah, and WATER! They are constantly spilling their water, when they "swim" in the trough. They also need a mud hole, which takes tons of water every day and there's a drought and I live in the desert. Then we have a rooster that "just showed up one day." He just showed up and hung out with the alpacas, little horse and, at the time, a Scottish Highland calf that we had. She went to a little girl in Farmington, as a 4H calf. Her daddy went to a ranch in Northern NM with 16 Scottish Highland heifers. Mom went to a local home. We rescued them from a couple that had to move to Montana in 2 days and needed a new home for them, so we took them in and got them new homes. We also rescued the daddies little brother, Wreck it Ralph or as I call him, Ralphie. They all originally came from an elderly lady in the area that passed away and the community obsorbed her herd. Ralphie, like the Longhorns, Larry, donkeys, Felix. Quacky Chan and the goats are permanent residents. Any alpaca babies, except Precious, I have in the future might be up for discussion. The new mob came from an elderly couple who couldn't care for them any longer, but also wanted them to stay together. They are Shibori who is mother to one of the ladies, Eleanor and grandma to Ruth and mother to one of the boys Errol and grandmother to Tyrone. Last but not least, is Pixie Dust, the llama. I also inherited 3 barn cats, Rusty, Panther and the coolest, sweetest grey and white tuxedo cat named boots, for her 4 white socks. She would be an indoor cat, but I'm allergic and she used to sleep in my face. She is rarely alone or outside at night. She usually finds a sucker....I mean a guest, that let's her in their cabin to cuddle with them for the night. If you're ever in the area, give me a call at least 30 minutes before your arrival and I'll give you a private tour of the ranch. Santa is here every weekend in December, too. You can also book a cabin on AirBNB. We also guide off-road tours in a 6 passenger sidexside, rockhounding tours, petroglyph tours, state park tours, Palomas Mexico, ghost towns, mines, scenic and historic tours. My website was built by Col Harold Kaough MD, who built the ranch for his wife, Linda. Linda rescued horses, donkeys, goats and lots of other critters. That is how the ranch got its name Lazy K O Ranch. I decided to keep the name, since it was already established. Oh yeah, and my grandkids names, in birth order, are Kayden, Kaylee and Owen or K²O, so the Universe knew what it was doing when it led me here and provided all of this to me, for my therapy and peace. Www.lazykoranch.com

Thanks for reading
Martin "Jughead"

Attachments

• 20220709_190043.jpg
    20220709_190043.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220628_193013.jpg
    20220628_193013.jpg
    823.4 KB · Views: 1
  • received_370288178250338.jpeg
    received_370288178250338.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1647904247163.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647904247163.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220702_133401.jpg
    20220702_133401.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220702_133428.jpg
    20220702_133428.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220708_203546.jpg
    20220708_203546.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220710_183607.jpg
    20220710_183607.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220515-170628_Airbnb.jpg
    Screenshot_20220515-170628_Airbnb.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 1
  • received_912242402826064.jpeg
    received_912242402826064.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
  • received_3988985804538178.jpeg
    received_3988985804538178.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1
  • received_1574401736253438.jpeg
    received_1574401736253438.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200516_212140.jpg
    20200516_212140.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200516_211836.jpg
    20200516_211836.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200515_155742.jpg
    20200515_155742.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200516_211439.jpg
    20200516_211439.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 1
I am so glad to meet you, Martin. You have built yourself a wonderful sounding petting zoo and constantly expanding family of new friends. The animals in the pictures are so beautiful, and you look very happy in the shots, as well. May you enjoy your animals for many years! Thank you for your service! I certainly enjoyed your introduction.

@casportpony might be able to answer your peacock questions
I am not sure who here raises rheas. What a fascinating bunch of questions you bring!

You might want to repost the questions into the forums for different animals and topics:
Peafowl
Ostriches, Emus, Rheas
Guineafowl
Ducks
Your state thread (both to rehome animals and to find if anybody in your area has animals you want!)

Welcome to BYC! What a great intro!

4) How do you sex a white peafowl before it's old enough to grow out it's fan feathers, if it's a cock or lay if its a hen?
I have trouble with this too and cannot do it reliably until they are about 16 months old. This year I am thinking about DNA testing all of my white chicks.

5)Do you think that Queen laid all 14+ eggs, or were part of them Princesses?
Peahens usually lay an egg every 1-2 days.

6)Do peahens lay at different times? If Queen laid the 14 eggs, might Princess start laying soon or sometime this summer?
How old is Princess?

7)Does anybody have or know of anybody that has, Dark Purple peahen(s), chicks or fertile eggs for sale? Larry needs a couple purple ladies. My son got Larry, as a chick, from his buddy, who also gave him the two eggs last year. Unfortunately his buddy passed away, so he isn't an option.
@KsKingBee sells chicks.

8)Any suggestions on how to get rid of my surplus of guinea cocks? Everyone only wants hens, so I will only sell either cocks or pairs and I have far too many cocks. I currently have 9 hens and 20 cocks. I butchered 8 last fall and it was way too much work, especially since they taste like turkey, to me, and I'm not a huge fan of turkey.
I would place an ad on Craigslist.

9)the Peking Drake and Muscovy Hen are separate, currently, but the drake hangs out along the guinea/peafowl/muscovy enclosure and seems lonely and that he wants to be with them. Is that OK? Will the muscovy and Peking mate? If so, will the eggs be viable?
Pekings and Muscovies speak a different language, so would be best to get one more of each. They might mate, and the eggs might be viable, but if they hatch they will be sterile.

10)Where can I find fertilized Muscovy Duck eggs?
Try Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom