Mjp96

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
Hello, I’m MJ and I picked up my first 3 chicks back in late March. I started with 2 speckled Sussex pullets and 1 buff Orpington pullet. My buff was a sweet little thing but while waiting on being able to move to our new home with a yard (was delayed by almost 2 months :/) they went to my aunt’s. My girls kept to themselves and her ladies stayed in their clique.

Unfortunately, after about 2.5 weeks, my Orpington vanished. About a month later, (I’m kicking myself for not collecting my girls and their coop sooner) one of my Sussex was found without her head. My heart is very heavy having already lost these two and for my last hen, she seems very down and lonely- any suggestions to help this are welcome!!!

I went ahead and picked up six new chicks (3 barred rock, 3 olive eggers) this past weekend as in the midst of summer they seem harder to find. I’m really excited to have the little ones to care for again and I’m hopeful I’ll be able to introduce them to my Freida soon

I’m really glad to have the space and time to care for backyard chickens and look forward to reading more about raising and caring for my flock!
Few questions:

-When can I present my chicks to my lonely 16 week pullet?
- With the daytime temps in the 90s and evening lows around 74, what age can I ditch the heat lamp?
-Best way to socialize my chicks?

Attachments

• C27BF5D0-5188-4E36-84C5-3332F46F1CE6.jpeg
    C27BF5D0-5188-4E36-84C5-3332F46F1CE6.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 0EA25679-16D6-43E5-90B4-5B53E8A683EC.jpeg
    0EA25679-16D6-43E5-90B4-5B53E8A683EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • EFE57DF6-50CA-492D-9E60-B5BD33922ACE.jpeg
    EFE57DF6-50CA-492D-9E60-B5BD33922ACE.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi and welcome to BYC. Temps are similar here and my chicks did not need heat after a week. Gradually increasing the height of your lamp from the chicks will wean them off the heat source. Here are some helpful links:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Sorry to hear about the loss of two of your girls. I'm sure it left Freida traumatized, too, and it might take her a while to feel safe again. Spend a lot of time with her, if you can. BTW, she is a lovely young thing. Speckleds are such striking birds, and mine is the biggest attention hog ever.

I'm no expert, but I would feel okay about ditching the heat lamp at any time with the temps you're having.

AI think it's hard to say when to introduce the new kids to Frieda. I'd use the look-but-don't-touch method with some kind of barrier keeping everyone safe; even, then I would watch carefully for their first interactions.

I have been carefully keeping my youngsters (2 months old and including three Cochin Bantams) separated from the older birds -- until this weekend when someone managed to open their makeshift gate. and they ran at large with the big birds. While I would have expected the little ones to get picked on, absolutely nothing bad happened. You just have to watch your flock and see how it goes.

The best way to socialize mine (and even then some birds just aren't that into people) is to sit with them, talk to them, try not to grab them from above like a predator would (sometimes this is unavoidable) and offer teeny tiny treats, like wee bits of grapes as they get a little older -- so they see you as a human vending machine.

They may never like being picked up, but when I yell, "Grapes," there is a general stampede in my direction.

I hope all goes well with the new flock, and that you get all the help and support you need here at BYC.

Back
Top Bottom