Hello! New Mom to a sweet "Cross-beak"

she is so cute! my crossed beak Cinnamon looked just like that and she still does, but she some how eats fine. so I think she will be fine, just don't give up!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Lil Peeps-- Your Silkie was such a cutie pie! I'm sorry he's gone :-( His story was a real encouragement to me. Isn't it sad to watch them peck at the crumbles, and know they're not getting anything for all that effort? I really like your syringe idea, because even with wet food, it just takes Cleo sooooo long to eat a tiny bit, and she flings most of it all over the place. And it sticks to everything, especially me! lol I think the syringe idea might speed things up for both of us!
tongue.png
Thank You!

Lil Peeps-- Your Silkie was such a cutie pie!  I'm sorry he's gone :-(  His story was a real encouragement to me.  Isn't it sad to watch them peck at the crumbles, and know they're not getting anything for all that effort?   I really like your syringe idea, because even with wet food, it just takes Cleo sooooo long to eat a tiny bit, and she flings most of it all over the place.  And it sticks to everything, especially me!  lol  I think the syringe idea might speed things up for both of us!   :p   Thank You! 

Aw thanks, I still really miss him! That used to kill me watching him peck at the food, he pecked so many times I imagine his little beak would get sore. That's when we started mixing his starter with warm water. We would put warm/hot water and chick starter in the blender and blend it all up. Then when we did end up syringe feeding him we did the exact same thing with the chick food and fed him to it that way. One thing to remember when syringe feeding is when you put the syringe in her mouth try to aim towards the left side of her throat facing her. Because her crop is on the right side, so when you are facing her you should aim towards the left side of her mouth. Also make sure to only give her a little bit at a time, because she may start to spit up if you do it to fast. I usually would just put it right in the front of his mouth and let him swallow it down the right side, instead of aiming down his throat. I remember getting just splattered with his food! I would also try to wear an old shirt and pants because me and him would end up covered!!!

Hi Lil Peeps! Thanks for thinking about Cleo! She's hanging in there. We were doing pretty well at syringe feeding. I noticed that if I put a glob of food on her lower beak (since it's sticking out there all by itself!) she was able to use her tongue and swallow it right down! That seemed so much safer than me-the-novice trying to put it in her throat. lol But then it looked like a little sore was developing where I kept touching the syringe to her beak. :-( So I went back to letting her feed herself by scooping, until the raw spot healed. But she's just not gaining any weight. Still just skin and bones, the poor thing!! So I'm going to try again with the syringe, being more mindful to not touch her beak so much-- she just wiggles like a worm, so I guess I was using the side of her beak to guide the syringe, (and I was trying to be so gentle!) She's such a happy, friendly little bird, always wanting to jump up on me, so I will keep trying to find a way to fill her up! I'll take a new picture when I get a chance.
smile.png
Jenn

Hi Lil Peeps!  Thanks for thinking about Cleo!  She's hanging in there.  We were doing pretty well at syringe feeding.  I noticed that if I put a glob of food on her lower beak (since it's sticking out there all by itself!) she was able to use her tongue and swallow it right down!  That seemed so much safer than me-the-novice trying to put it in her throat. lol  But then it looked like a little sore was developing where I kept touching the syringe to her beak. :-(  So I went back to letting her feed herself by scooping, until the raw spot healed. But she's just not gaining any weight.  Still just skin and bones, the poor thing!!  So I'm going to try again with the syringe, being more mindful to not touch her beak so much-- she just wiggles like a worm, so I guess I was using the side of her beak to guide the syringe, (and I was trying to be so gentle!)  She's such a happy, friendly little bird, always wanting to jump up on me, so I will keep trying to find a way to fill her up!  I'll take a new picture when I get a chance.  :)   Jenn

I know! Our little boy usually stayed on the thinner side because I mean they only get a little bit in for a huge effort! I usually did the same thing! Just put it like on his tongue and lower beak, I was a little iffy about putting it actually down his throat too. And he used to wiggle so much! I would usually try to get somebody else to hold him while I fed him. If not I would try to hold him with my legs. It is really hard to get some meat on their bones! I would say just feed her with the syringe as many times a day as you can and always leave her with like soupy food or something she can eat while she's in her box. You can also try adding things in her food to help her gain some weight and get healthier, I've heard of adding yogurt, scrambled eggs( I know it sounds wrong! ) high protein baby food like I believe they mentioned banana and pea flavored specifically. Stuff with a little higher protein value. I can't wait to see those new pictures and I will be praying for your sweet little girl! You are doing amazing with her! Thank you so much for giving her a chance and loving her enough to do that for her!

How's Cleo been doing? Been thinking about her and praying for her. She is a special little girl.

Hi, Lil Peeps!
smile.png
Here is the latest picture of my funny little girl. She looks so pathetic, you can't help but feel instant love for her! LOL

But man, she has got personality plus! As soon as I pull the top off her enclosure, she flies up and hops on my hand. I have to keep her in a wired off section of the coop, because the others started really beating up on her. :-( She has a friend, Peachy, a RIR that stays in the special section with her. Peachy's on the small side, too, and the others chased her without end and made her terribly nervous. So Cleo and Peachy make the perfect pair, and have chicken wire between them and the general population. Last night, they were settling down in their cozy little 'apartment', and Cleo tunneled underneath Peachy's wing. And as they fell asleep, all you could see was Cleo's head sticking out from under Peachy's wing, both of their eyes closed. It was soooooo precious! Reminded me of Psalm 91 "under his wings you will find refuge" :) I just love her so much. Thanks for the prayers!!
2665.png
2665.png
Jenn

Hi, Lil Peeps! :) Here is the latest picture of my funny little girl. She looks so pathetic, you can't help but feel instant love for her! LOL But man, she has got personality plus! As soon as I pull the top off her enclosure, she flies up and hops on my hand. I have to keep her in a wired off section of the coop, because the others started really beating up on her. :-( She has a friend, Peachy, a RIR that stays in the special section with her. Peachy's on the small side, too, and the others chased her without end and made her terribly nervous. So Cleo and Peachy make the perfect pair, and have chicken wire between them and the general population. Last night, they were settling down in their cozy little 'apartment', and Cleo tunneled underneath Peachy's wing. And as they fell asleep, all you could see was Cleo's head sticking out from under Peachy's wing, both of their eyes closed. It was soooooo precious! Reminded me of Psalm 91 "under his wings you will find refuge" :) I just love her so much. Thanks for the prayers!!
2665.png
2665.png
Jenn
Oh my goodness precious girl! She has grown a lot since the last time I saw her! That is absolutely one of the cutest things I have ever heard of! How precious, thank God that precious Cleo has a friend she can be with, Peachy! I love both of their names! You're a believer too?! That is so awesome! And that is crazy because that is my VERY favorite Psalm! Also right before that when it says " He will cover you with His feathers." That is just SOOOOO SWEET!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom