help 2 week old chick just died. I need some answers.

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
its been fine and running around. its 2 weeks old. it was fine all day but now its lethargic, not standing. tried water, it wont drink. not standing. i checked legs for any break or injury. now that i look further i think she hurt her left leg joint. pic below. the joint is slightly turned inward. no pasty butt. I will separate her and see how it goes. any advice would help

Attachments

• 20220312_144634.jpg
    20220312_144634.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220312_145151.jpg
    20220312_145151.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
so its 8 pm. she has only drank a few sips since 3pm that i gave her. She hasn't eaten. hasnt pooped. I am not so sure its a leg. She has both legs tucked under her. when i pick her up she doesnt stretch them out. she is keeping her eyes closed and chirping for a about a minute straight then stops then starts again. not a normal chirp. Her body is also stiff. This came on so suddenly that i am baffled. No other chicks are sick. I can only think that one of the slightly bigger ones knocked her over. They are quite active. If she makes it to tomorrow I will be quite surprised.
UPDATE: I brought her inside to watch her and keep her warm. At 8:08 she started violently flipping around and flapped her wings, rolled onto her back and died. At the same time her neck went crooked to the side. it looked like a seizure.
I just don't know what to think.
Anyone ever have this happen?

Last edited:
How long after you introduced the dirt into the brooder did this chick sicken? If it was coccidiosis it would take around five days for it to develop into a symptomatic illness. Since the other chicks are okay, coccidiosis isn't real likely, but you can safely treat the other chicks if you want to be safe. It won't hurt anything.

It's more likely the chick had a poop blockage, which is a common thing.

The "seizure" was just how a chicken dies. There is a lot of flapping and contortions as the nervous system shuts down. The chicken is actually dead by that time.

How long after you introduced the dirt into the brooder did this chick sicken? If it was coccidiosis it would take around five days for it to develop into a symptomatic illness. Since the other chicks are okay, coccidiosis isn't real likely, but you can safely treat the other chicks if you want to be safe. It won't hurt anything.

The "seizure" was just how a chicken dies. There is a lot of flapping and contortions as the nervous system shuts down. The chicken is actually

The "seizure" was just how a chicken dies. There is a lot of flapping and contortions as the nervous system shuts down. The chicken is actually dead by that time.
the dirt was put in maybe 2 weeks ago and i just cleaned out the brooder 2 days ago. no cleaners. i just scooped out the dirty shavings but there could of been some dirt left.

Okay, so then it is possible there was a heavy load of coccidia in the dirt. Are you in the US? Do you know how to mix up Corid and treat your chicks?

By the way, the dirt thing only works during the first two weeks of a chick's life to establish resistance to coccidia. After that, it's of little value, although your chicks will eventually become resistant as they roam around on the soil.

Okay, so then it is possible there was a heavy load of coccidia in the dirt. Are you in the US? Do you know how to mix up Corid and treat your chicks?

By the way, the dirt thing only works during the first two weeks of a chick's life to establish resistance to coccidia. After that, it's of little value, although your chicks will eventually become resistant as they roam around on the soil.
I did start corid tonight in the waterer. The dirt was mainly for the greens not for exposure. Hopefully the corid does the trick.

I did start corid tonight in the waterer. The dirt was mainly for the greens not for exposure. Hopefully the corid does the trick.
What exactly are you feeding the chicks?
What temperature is it underneath your heat lamp?

What exactly are you feeding the chicks?
What temperature is it underneath your heat lamp?
feeding purina start n grow organic. My husband was told not to feed silky chicks medicated. And that this was good because silkys get wry neck. The brooder lamp is at 95° on the ground but they have plenty of room to get away from any heat, and they do. its high enough also. All other chicks are good today so far. Maybe the chick got a head injury from rough housing. They tend to run and flap just having fun as the brooder is 8 feet long by 4 foot wide. Started corid last night just to be safe.

Attachments

• 20220304_133449.jpg
    20220304_133449.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220304_133436.jpg
    20220304_133436.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom