Help! 5 -6 week old TSC "Asian blacks", actual breed and gender?

Tink101718

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2019
I purchased six birds from tractor supply 5 weeks ago. I believe they were about a week old when I purchased them. They were marked Asian Black, but do not resemble any Asian Black I have seen thus far. I suspect my lightest little guy is a Barred Rock cockerel. The other 5 I believe may be BSL cockerels, but I was told they could be BR pullets. By this point everything is looking rather developed and red for me to be totally convinced on that. Please help me determine breed and gender of my babies. If I have 6 cockerels I will need to find all 6 a home. We can not have roos where I live.
20190407_175250.jpg
20190407_175323.jpg

Attachments

• 20190407_175343.jpg
    20190407_175343.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190407_175410.jpg
    20190407_175410.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190407_175441.jpg
    20190407_175441.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190407_175457.jpg
    20190407_175457.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 42
I hate to say it, but those are all cockerels and appear to be either barred rocks or black sexlinks but probably the latter

They are bared rocks, but the 4th one could be something different, and yes they all look like cockerels, but that means you can get more chicks!
EDIT
I completely forgot that they are cockerels and said barred rocks, the black sex link cockerels have the barring just like the barred rocks

Last edited:
They are bared rocks, but the 4th one could be something different, and yes they all look like cockerels, but that means you can get more chicks!

I feel so duped. 6 out of 6 of my first group are cockerels and I cant help but feel like they were sold the way they were on purpose.

TSC employees don't know anything about chicken breeds. Its a rare employee that actually knows what they're talking about with chicks and chickens. And that person was probably hired because they did know something about them and tried to help another employee fix the bins. Don't feel quite so duped. I agree, they're all cockerels, and you have a mix of possible barred rocks and black sex links.

I'm sorry. I was upset with one of my 4 girls turned out to be a boy and I had to rehome him, and can't imagine having to rehome the whole flock like that.

I've learned that TSC and my local co-op have no clue what they have or anything about chickens. Every time I go in, there's at least one guy telling people that the "purebred Americanas" lay pure blue eggs, and each chicken lays AT LEAST 2 eggs a day. When I told him mine lay about 4-5 a week at 3 years old, and all chickens lay one egg per day max because biology, he told me mine were just too old and I needed to eat them and get the better ones they sell.

I purchased six birds from tractor supply 5 weeks ago. I believe they were about a week old when I purchased them. They were marked Asian Black, but do not resemble any Asian Black I have seen thus far. I suspect my lightest little guy is a Barred Rock cockerel. The other 5 I believe may be BSL cockerels, but I was told they could be BR pullets. By this point everything is looking rather developed and red for me to be totally convinced on that. Please help me determine breed and gender of my babies. If I have 6 cockerels I will need to find all 6 a home. We can not have roos where I live. View attachment 1729963 View attachment 1729964
That first one looks like a California Gray. They are much lighter than BR's. They have very very dark gray and let. gray speckles that are kind of smeared looking. That's my best way to describe their pattern. A BR's coloring is black and white and very definitively a speckled pattern. I have one BR hen and 5 CG's 3 hens and 2 3 month old cockerels. I'll send you pics of mine of that would help. I bought chickens from our TSC before and they were all what they advertised. Guess some stores aren't as knowledgeable maybe, or could be TSC in different parts of the Country use different hatcheries for their supplies of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom