Help! 6 day old chick all of a sudden sick

I'm hoping she pulls through this, too. It's a good sign the little thing is still with us. It means she has fight in her and perhaps your treatment came in time to save her.

Feel just below her vent. If you feel a possible poop accumulation there, exert a tiny bit of pressure toward the vent, possibly urging the poop to be expelled. She may just need a bit of help getting it started. Once the poop starts moving, she should rally.

Has she pooped since you gave her the oil? How much sugar water have you gotten into her so far?
One small normal looking poop. I mixed honey with water and she's had about 2ml. She was on her back at one point which scared me because I just had to cull a chick on Tuesday who had a neurological issue.

Keep trying to get sugar water into her. It's a matter of getting that coffee to move out of her digestive track before the toxins get fully absorbed. This can be a gruelingly involved task to hydrate this tiny chick to accomplish this. It's hard work. But if you get this accomplished by this evening, she will most likely survive. If not, the prognosis for her being alive by morning isn't good.

She just spit some of the water out 😞

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_171941213.jpg
    IMG_20220212_171941213.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220212_172113091.jpg
    IMG_20220212_172113091.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 7
Is her crop full and heavy? If it is, that means nothing will move due to an impaction. Once the crop refuses to empty, it's a bad sign.

Try this. Heat a few small towels and wrap her gently in them. They shouldn't be so hot as to burn skin. Perhaps some direct heat will activate her digestive process and help move the poop through.

Is her crop full and heavy? If it is, that means nothing will move due to an impaction. Once the crop refuses to empty, it's a bad sign.

Try this. Heat a few small towels and wrap her gently in them. They shouldn't be so hot as to burn skin. Perhaps some direct heat will activate her digestive process and help move the poop through.
Her crop doesn't feel full but not empty either. It's pretty soft, like a not fully inflated balloon. I'll try some warm compresses when I get back home.
I'm having my doubts she's going to make it 😞

To be honest, I dont think she'll make it, either. But, she could still surprise us and rally. Warm sugar water and warming with direct contact heat can speed up her metabolism. This could give her the edge she needs to rally.

Back
Top Bottom