HELP! 8 week old chick got all skin and feathers pecked off her head!

Awww, your poor chicken! :( What a hard life she has.
She is really happy in a large flock. We got rid of the cockerel that hurt her, and she hangs with our banty rooster all day long, and is happy and healthy. The head rooster doesn't pay attention to her, and she just noses around me if I go into the coop. Her name is Amadeus, and she has always been a bit different or slow. Her sister got picked off last year by a hawk we think. Polish chickens are prone to getting their head feathers pecked, and her sister had gone through that once too. I'm glad your pullet is doing well.

Last edited:
How did the hen get along? I had a hen get her back skin ripped clear down to her thigh and I did just as Eggcessive advised you to do. She healed up and is a two year survivor. I hope yours made it also.

Last edited:
I had this happen to a chukar and she made a full recovery but remained bald until she flew the coop (I rescued her and her siblings from a ditch when a few days old, reared them and allowed them to fly away when ready)

She was very much as bad as yours and all I did was coat the patch in purple iodine once a day (similar to BluKote I guess?) I kept her in a small pen, in the main pen with the others so she could see them and talk to them, even cuddle up beside them through the bars but not be got at again. It took a good few weeks to completely heal but it got there, then I just opened her pen door and let her in with the others again. There was a bit of chasing but nothing serious.

She's healing up pretty good. I thought she'll never get her skin back on top of the head because it was clearly to the bone. (we could see the bone clearly, with all its groves and the shape. YUK!) She's got skin all over the head and little feathers have grown in most of it. Chickens sure are survivors! LOL. She's been back with her age chickens and they never pecked her. I haven't put them together yet with the older chickens but they do share a running space with a fence between.
Here is a pic of her head as of today. :)

That is awesome ! I know I didn't think my hen would survive either. They sure are amazing. Glad to see she's improved.

That is very amazing, and I'm so happy for you. It's great to see the before-and-after pictures that show her recovery. Good luck to you.

Thank you all~! I think I can now put "vet" on my "homemaker certificate of employment". LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom