Help!! Advice Needed. Hen injured and Eggs cold!!!!

MightyMaran

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Something got in the coop last night and my hen that was 4 days away from hatching was attacked. She has open neck wound and open back wound. When I found her she was out of the coop setting in the snow wet. I brought her in and warmed her up, cleaned and treated the neck wound and back wound. Now she has swelling around the eye area and when i give her water it seems her bottom beak is not quite lining up right, also noticed a little wheezing after she would drink. She is taking water when it offer it but will not drink on her own. she stands in the box with her head tucked back toward her wing. What else can I do to try to pull her through?

I also gathered the eggs that were left in the nest, although they were cold to the touch, and put them in a box with heat on it and a moist cloth laid over them. Is there a chance they will still hatch or did I loose this batch?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks everyone

She has started walking around the box. The swelling above the eye seems to be getting worse. Is there anything that I can put on it to take the swelling down some? I doubt they have ice packs for chickens heads.

Something got in the coop last night and my hen that was 4 days away from hatching was attacked. She has open neck wound and open back wound. When I found her she was out of the coop setting in the snow wet. I brought her in and warmed her up, cleaned and treated the neck wound and back wound. Now she has swelling around the eye area and when i give her water it seems her bottom beak is not quite lining up right, also noticed a little wheezing after she would drink. She is taking water when it offer it but will not drink on her own. she stands in the box with her head tucked back toward her wing. What else can I do to try to pull her through?

I also gathered the eggs that were left in the nest, although they were cold to the touch, and put them in a box with heat on it and a moist cloth laid over them. Is there a chance they will still hatch or did I loose this batch?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks everyone

I'm so sorry for you!!!! :( I can't believe no one who knows something helpful (not me, I'm afraid... :-( ) has posted yet. Maybe hurricane Sandy has taken them all out?? :/

Can anyone help?

We are not vets. That bird needs a qualified vet. She sounds like she has a punctured lung from the attack. The eye is the least of your problems. Scratches and attacks get infected. They need to be cleaned and kept clean.

Back
Top Bottom