Help!! Advice Needed on Air Cell Size and Adjustments to Reach Ideal When Incubating Duck Eggs

tanner17567

Songster
Feb 20, 2016
Montpelier, Va
My Coop
My Coop
Hi there! This is my first time incubating duck eggs and I have been doing all the research I can to ensure a good hatch. I’ve always heard that duck eggs are far more difficult than chicken eggs, and I really want to do my best to bring these babies into the world!

So, with that said, I read a bunch of articles on ideal settings and techniques, etc. etc. and my babies are looking strong and healthy and I’m happy with everything so far EXCEPT I hadn’t been monitoring the air cells! I think they look a little behind, which is an indication of the humidity having been too high (I kept mine as close to 55% as possible, but I know it fluctuated a little - 47%-58%).

I’m on day 22 and I’ve read that humidity requirements can really very from egg to egg, etc. and you’re looking for a 14% weight loss ideally. He provided a great visual and that’s why I think my eggs haven’t quite lost enough weight.

If you’re still reading this (thank you!) my plan is to let the humidity drop to 45% or so until lock down, candling each day to check progress on the air cell. I’ve read several stories lately of ducklings, or chicks, making it to lock down and then dying in the egg. It seems this points to the air cell being too small and the duckling not being able to twist and unzip, and they “drown” in the egg. This would be my worst nightmare!

Here’s a picture of one of my Ancona eggs tonight (day 22) and the graphic that was provided with the article I read.

I would love to hear your thoughts and get advice regarding air sack size and how it relates to a good hatch, and if I’m on the right track for achieving that.

2E55117B-255C-4DFA-AABD-C5CF3BE0D1C5.jpeg
9E596075-BCDF-4B9F-A512-BEAE4498D768.png

Last edited:
How did your hatch go? I’m in a situation like yours.

Mine went very well!! I lowered the humidity to 35% for the last couple days and at two days before hatch the air cells looked normal. Well, all but one.

The one with the very small air cell did not hatch 😢 but was fully formed and beautiful! My guess is that s/he grew too large to hatch. I wish I had stepped in earlier, as I knew to keep an eye on it.

All but one hatched on their own, and one I assisted after loosing the other one. It may have hatched on its own, but it was the last and I didn’t want to risk it.

How do your air cells look and how many days until hatching day?

I’m hatching chicken and turkey eggs, so I guess my situation is a little different. The turkeys are on day 23 and the chickens are on day 16. All due to hatch on Monday and lockdown on Friday. I decided to start incubating dry on Sunday, but the humidity won’t drop below 39! I’ll upload pictures of the air cells today.

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• B52C09DB-1536-4225-933C-7DC0157AAE89.jpeg
    B52C09DB-1536-4225-933C-7DC0157AAE89.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 16
  • DB17EFBE-27C7-4CD0-9277-FB37C47F8587.jpeg
    DB17EFBE-27C7-4CD0-9277-FB37C47F8587.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 4
  • E840F666-BDA7-444F-848E-57C5AFC81941.jpeg
    E840F666-BDA7-444F-848E-57C5AFC81941.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 4
  • E1B9B242-A802-4F81-A7A5-FF2E3E9B9013.jpeg
    E1B9B242-A802-4F81-A7A5-FF2E3E9B9013.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 5
Oh, I just saw you dang get humidity below 37. You could use a dehumidifier or possibly try moving to a drier area of the house.

Have they shrunk at all since you started running it dry?

Oh, I just saw you dang get humidity below 37. You could use a dehumidifier or possibly try moving to a drier area of the house.

Have they shrunk at all since you started running it dry?
Yes, the turkey eggs seem to be doing good, but the chicken eggs are still small. Yesterday I went to candle one of the turkey eggs and a piece of shell fell off! It had pipped, but I think the wrong end. Since most of the other eggs still had small air cells I decided to not raise the humidity until yesterday night. I hope that was the right decision, but now the little guy has a dried membrane from what I can see. He pipped yesterday morning (day 25) I figured since the others haven’t pipped he probably still has some developing to do so I didn’t help him. Should I help him today? He’s still kinda trying to get out, but the membrane is so dry I doubt he can. Sorry for such a long message

Oh Lordy, I am sorry once again. I am awful at remembering to check one threads.

How did your hatch go? For next time, when the membrane starts to dry out I use a q-tip and coconut oil. Rub the coconut oil all over the membrane and it will keep it from drying out too much. You may need to apply it twice a day or so, depending on the humidity.

I hope it all went well. Post pics of your babies!

Back
Top Bottom