Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

Pics
Well that was quite the ride. I’dve left it alone to hatch out when/if it was ready, especially if hatch is two days away. I also do not recommend taking them out of the incubator, or tearing off, opening, or puncturing anything. Hatching is THEIR job, after they do that for themselves, caring for them is YOUR job. A lot of people will say the weak ones will be weeded out naturally, and I agree to an extent. I can be a bit of a softy sometimes and have a habit of helping animals that wouldn’t otherwise make it. I’ve had animals of all sorts that started out rough and grew to be just as healthy and able as any other in their species. But inviting weak blood into your flock may lead to more frustration down the road. Please allow a few of the others to hatch naturally, and sometimes it good to except a loss.

Well that was quite the ride. I’dve left it alone to hatch out when/if it was ready, especially if hatch is two days away. I also do not recommend taking them out of the incubator, or tearing off, opening, or puncturing anything. Hatching is THEIR job, after they do that for themselves, caring for them is YOUR job. A lot of people will say the weak ones will be weeded out naturally, and I agree to an extent. I can be a bit of a softy sometimes and have a habit of helping animals that wouldn’t otherwise make it. I’ve had animals of all sorts that started out rough and grew to be just as healthy and able as any other in their species. But inviting weak blood into your flock may lead to more frustration down the road. Please allow a few of the others to hatch naturally, and sometimes it good to except a loss.
I sound rude, but I’m concerned that your constant messing with the incubator will negatively effect the other healthy babies from hatching. Hens get of of eggs so you taking the egg out again and again might be okay, but better not to risk it during such an important time.

I sound rude, but I’m concerned that your constant messing with the incubator will negatively effect the other healthy babies from hatching. Hens get of of eggs so you taking the egg out again and again might be okay, but better not to risk it during such an important time.
Not rude. I hope I don't sound rude either, or that I am encouraging folks to act irresponsibly. I respect your position and, in general, agree with you.

The reason that I've encouraged assistance in this case is its a call duck, and call ducks are notoriously difficult to hatch on their own. In addition, from my experience hatching hundreds of call ducklings, there are fine lines with when they need help, and when not to assist. I've given my option based on my experience, and the OP's actions, and based on this one particular egg and the OP. Not every hatch is the same, not every assist is the same. And not everyone has the same capabilities to provide the proper assistance that a chick needs.

As far as messing with the incubator too much, I personally think it depends greatly on the incubator itself. If its one that is hard to regulate, I would recommend not touching it! If it re-regulates itself easily, as mine do, I open during hatching quite often.

Yeah I get what you mean and no don’t worry you don’t come off as rude at all! It’s just that from what I heard call ducks do tend to need help especially show quality ones and that’s the only reason why I’m so on the ball with assisting. Right now all I did was peel off the membrane that stuck to the ducklings wing from one end to the other (there’s a bit that’s still stuck on the wing, if I left it as is I don’t think the duckling could have gotten out) - when I did that it moved the wing a little and shifted down and filled up what was originally empty space towards the base of the egg, and wiggled a bit and got it’s wing a little more loose. At the moment I can’t figure out how the wing or head is supposed to be so I’ve left the duckling in the brooder again to sort itself out if it can - going to give it a few more hours, I think it’s about to reach 37 hours since the external pip? And it’s it’ll be day 28 soon.

Not rude. I hope I don't sound rude either, or that I am encouraging folks to act irresponsibly. I respect your position and, in general, agree with you.

The reason that I've encouraged assistance in this case is its a call duck, and call ducks are notoriously difficult to hatch on their own. In addition, from my experience hatching hundreds of call ducklings, there are fine lines with when they need help, and when not to assist. I've given my option based on my experience, and the OP's actions, and based on this one particular egg and the OP. Not every hatch is the same, not every assist is the same. And not everyone has the same capabilities to provide the proper assistance that a chick needs.

As far as messing with the incubator too much, I personally think it depends greatly on the incubator itself. If its one that is hard to regulate, I would recommend not touching it! If it re-regulates itself easily, as mine do, I open during hatching quite often.
I open the incubator slightly every 1 and a half to two hours to quickly take out the egg so the temperature doesn’t fall below .2/3 at most but quickly goes back up, the tray is topped with water and theres wet tissue for added humidity.

I think he should be at a point where he can get out himself, when I was wiping him down with the oil again he was moving quite a bit, he just needs to get his wing free so he can move his head but I’m worried if I pull it it’ll be the wrong way and I’ll break it or make things harder. It’s that red bit on the right that scares me as well

EEFF814C-2A6E-47D3-97A0-1C36250293BB.png

Yeah I get what you mean and no don’t worry you don’t come off as rude at all! It’s just that from what I heard call ducks do tend to need help especially show quality ones and that’s the only reason why I’m so on the ball with assisting. Right now all I did was peel off the membrane that stuck to the ducklings wing from one end to the other (there’s a bit that’s still stuck on the wing, if I left it as is I don’t think the duckling could have gotten out) - when I did that it moved the wing a little and shifted down and filled up what was originally empty space towards the base of the egg, and wiggled a bit and got it’s wing a little more loose. At the moment I can’t figure out how the wing or head is supposed to be so I’ve left the duckling in the brooder again to sort itself out if it can - going to give it a few more hours, I think it’s about to reach 37 hours since the external pip? And it’s it’ll be day 28 soon.

I open the incubator slightly every 1 and a half to two hours to quickly take out the egg so the temperature doesn’t fall below .2/3 at most but quickly goes back up, the tray is topped with water and theres wet tissue for added humidity.

I think he should be at a point where he can get out himself, when I was wiping him down with the oil again he was moving quite a bit, he just needs to get his wing free so he can move his head but I’m worried if I pull it it’ll be the wrong way and I’ll break it or make things harder. It’s that red bit on the right that scares me as well

View attachment 3033595
Yep, you've opened it up sufficiently that he should be able to push out on his own when he is ready now. Great job!

Yep, you've opened it up sufficiently that he should be able to push out on his own when he is ready now. Great job!
That’s good I’m really glad to hear that, thank you! Seeing as this one’s in 36 hours and well, I’m going to leave the other one that pipped for 36 hours (going to be 24 hours in an hour) before taking off the external pip bit to get a look inside and avoid opening up the air cell unless I absolutely need to - does that sound like a good plan? The egg is a lot quieter though, doesn’t peep at all in response, I took it out once yesterday to check in on it and it was just tapping, since I’ve been opening the incubator a lot I’ve avoided taking the other egg out incase it effects it too much. It’s in the same boat as the current egg in that it hasn’t unzipped so far since the pip

Last edited:
That’s good I’m really glad to hear that, thank you! Seeing as this one’s in 36 hours and well, I’m going to leave the other one that pipped for 36 hours (going to be 24 hours in an hour) before taking off the external pip bit to get a look inside and avoid opening up the air cell unless I absolutely need to - does that sound like a good plan? The egg a lot quieter though, doesn’t peep at all in response, I took it out once yesterday to check in on it and it was just tapping, since I’ve been opening the incubator a lot I’ve avoided taking the other egg out incase it effects it too much. It’s in the same boat as the current egg in that it hasn’t unzipped so far since the pip
Sounds like a good plan!

Hatching eggs is nerve racking- especially when you are expecting bumps in road, assisted hatches can be complicated and many don’t have access to training resources regarding them. Good luck with you call ducklings, and be sure to post picks once the fluff.
One of the reasons I don’t assist in hatches often is because it’s something I don’t like about call ducks. I wish that in the future it can be corrected, but with calls being introduced to the pet trade, demand is rising and quality is sinking.
You did what you felt was necessary for the survival of your duckling.

Back
Top Bottom