Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

Pics

Croissant

Songster
Mar 18, 2022
Hi! I posted another thread but I wanted to specifically focus on this egg and I was hoping to find someone that might have had the same issue and hear what they tried - the air cell is too small and didn’t decrease but the call duckling is still alive and it’s day 26. I think it’s trying to pip but i don’t know if it will survive, should I help? I can see veins in there still, and I think I can see where the beak is? Should I make a small hole there? Every time I tap I see that little thing move - it’s to the left of the letter C.
514F0DCB-0D0D-489E-AE2A-EC42D03EFC6C.jpeg

I sound rude, but I’m concerned that your constant messing with the incubator will negatively effect the other healthy babies from hatching. Hens get of of eggs so you taking the egg out again and again might be okay, but better not to risk it during such an important time.
Not rude. I hope I don't sound rude either, or that I am encouraging folks to act irresponsibly. I respect your position and, in general, agree with you.

The reason that I've encouraged assistance in this case is its a call duck, and call ducks are notoriously difficult to hatch on their own. In addition, from my experience hatching hundreds of call ducklings, there are fine lines with when they need help, and when not to assist. I've given my option based on my experience, and the OP's actions, and based on this one particular egg and the OP. Not every hatch is the same, not every assist is the same. And not everyone has the same capabilities to provide the proper assistance that a chick needs.

As far as messing with the incubator too much, I personally think it depends greatly on the incubator itself. If its one that is hard to regulate, I would recommend not touching it! If it re-regulates itself easily, as mine do, I open during hatching quite often.

I’m sorry, but in my experience, that egg looks way too clear to be on day 26. It should look basically all dark except for the air cell.

Putting a safe hole in the air cell before the duckling internally pips does nothing for the duckling. A safe hole can be done once it breaks the membrane, to give extra air for it to breathe, when the air cell is small.

Show quality calls are even more of a challenge! In addition to the smaller bills and shorter necks, the offspring are also known to not be quite as hardy and healthy. I don’t know why, possibly more inbreeding to achieve a desired “look”.

I have about 50 beautiful calls. Some are quite small and round, but most have longer bills than the “show people” desire. But they hatch much easier on their own (I assist probably less than 50% now).

Whereabouts are you located? Can you get a picture of the egg with the latest pip?

Do I carry on and completely remove the round bit or should I leave it as is at this point?
There isn't a cut and dry answer to this unfortunately.
If it doesn't attempt to turn and started zipping in a few hours if it were me I'd go ahead and remove most of the air cell so I could observe the veins. Don't go farther than the air cell part. Careful not to nick a vein.
Keep the membrane moist and you can slowly peel back the membrane a bit at a time where there are no blood filled veins.
Mostly you will want to work towards just keeping the bill exposed and uncovering the eye area. You do not want a piece of membrane drying up over the eye.
Usually once you have removed the majority of that air cell and as long as the membrane doesn't get dry and stuck to it..
It can go ahead and push itself out from there when it's ready.

Back
Top Bottom