Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

Pics
Don't progress any further right now, if he is yawning, then he is still absorbing. You may also see chewing motions with the beak.
How long ago did he externally pip? Keep in mind that they can take a couple days to hatch. Don't rush. He doesn't need water, the yolk is giving him all he needs for now.
I saw his pip at 3am yesterday, but he might have made it a bit earlier because at that point there were additional two cracks to the left and right of the larger pip.

I don’t see many blood vessels in the latest pic, but there could be some still under the shell. All I would do at this point is try to lift the membrane off the face area. Looks like his wing is covering his eye, which actually keeps the membrane from sticking to its eye/face. So that’s fine. But you can fold back any areas that don’t have active veins. You don’t have to totally remove it, just kinda fold it back. Then wait for him to more actively try to emerge.

This is kinda the goal to shoot for, but slowly! Once you get it to this point, then he’ll be able to emerge on his own when he is fully ready.
98374551-80CF-4D36-83AF-682FCCB34308.jpeg

This is kinda the goal to shoot for, but slowly! Once you get it to this point, then he’ll be able to emerge on his own when he is fully ready.
View attachment 3033369
Oh thank you! The picture really helps! There’s red on the top right bit of the membrane, I think that might be veins? I’ll try peeling back the membrane for the face as well - is it safe to do that now or would it be ideal to wait till the yawning motions stop?

This looks great! No big bulging veins.
If you can moisten a swab with a little coconut oil and run it up under the membrane, try to loose any spots that might be stuck to feathers. Careful around the eye! It should be safe to peel any of that membrane back, or just stretch it out a bit. Avoid breaking any possible blood vessels.

He might just kick out in your hand, so be prepared! But if he doesn’t, just let him sit there until he’s ready.

I hope you are done helping and will let this little duckling work itself out now. Letting them do it makes them much stronger and less of a chance to still have yolk that hasn't absorbed.
How long do I wait to let the duckling work things out itself? I’ve just been moistening the membrane so far from the outside to prevent it from drying up.

This looks great! No big bulging veins.
If you can moisten a swab with a little coconut oil and run it up under the membrane, try to loose any spots that might be stuck to feathers. Careful around the eye! It should be safe to peel any of that membrane back, or just stretch it out a bit. Avoid breaking any possible blood vessels.

He might just kick out in your hand, so be prepared! But if he doesn’t, just let him sit there until he’s ready.
My worry is that on the top right the red but is filled with blood vessels - is it alright to nip the membrane a bit? Or should keep it whole

How long do I wait to let the duckling work things out itself? I’ve just been moistening the membrane so far from the outside to prevent it from drying up.

My worry is that on the top right the red but is filled with blood vessels - is it alright to nip the membrane a bit? Or should keep it whole
The areas that have no veins are safe to tear a little, just don't rip into any areas close to any blood vessels. I think if you run a swab up under the membrane, it will be very obvious where you can easily and safely expose the face.

On the other hand, those advising to wait have a point too. You absolutely can wait.

But since you've gone this far, I'm only trying to save you the issue of having membrane stuck to the face and feathers. Or the possibility of it getting stuck behind the exposed membrane and not being able to get out. But waiting is fine too, as long as you keep a close check and watch for him to start struggling to get out. If he struggles and is trapped in by being stuck to dried membrane, calls have a tendency to just give up. I'm only encouraging you to moisten the underside of the membrane so it doesn't get so stuck to the body.

Trust yourself, you are there, we are not! From what you've done so far, I think you will know when you should proceed or stop.

Back
Top Bottom