Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

Pics
24 hours is kind of a benchmark (for other readers, specifically talking call ducks here!) I’d candle really well all over the egg searching for prominent veins, areas of clear fluid, etc. But that may be the time to open up the shell over the air cell.
Ok got it! I guess I won’t be sleeping much tonight XD - I’ll candle the egg properly - at the moment the air cell bit looks fine, through the hole it looks like the duckling has gotten out without any membrane around it

24 hours is kind of a benchmark (for other readers, specifically talking call ducks here!) I’d candle really well all over the egg searching for prominent veins, areas of clear fluid, etc. But that may be the time to open up the shell over the air cell.
I’m going to open up the air cell bit! I’ve also opened up the incubator for more air flow. Kind of really nervous, I hope I’m not jumping the gun here! She’s still really chatty from inside the egg so she’s alive and well, and active

CEDD5F61-FBFB-4DEC-B63F-F70EC7C15DF6.jpeg

595E4038-03DC-471D-997F-91EA095CE48B.jpeg

This is the duckling right now - I made a small crack and left it like that., popped it back into the incubator

Helping before day 28....mmm.
Was i supposed to wait with call ducks as well? The egg had pipped but since then it’s been 24 hours and it hasn’t made any attempts to unzip. I have noticed however that it’s yawning so I think it’s got some absorbing left to do, that’s why I put it back into the incubator, I’m not sure how long I’m supposed to wait now that the duckling is open at the air cell bit though. Do I carry on and completely remove the round bit or should I leave it as is at this point?

Was i supposed to wait with call ducks as well? The egg had pipped but since then it’s been 24 hours and it hasn’t made any attempts to unzip. I have noticed however that it’s yawning so I think it’s got some absorbing left to do, that’s why I put it back into the incubator, I’m not sure how long I’m supposed to wait now that the duckling is open at the air cell bit though. Do I carry on and completely remove the round bit or should I leave it as is at this point?
Typically if it is yawning and making a chewing motion it isn't ready.
It can actually still turn and zip on its own as long as that exposed membrane doesn't get dried up and stuck to it.

Do I carry on and completely remove the round bit or should I leave it as is at this point?
There isn't a cut and dry answer to this unfortunately.
If it doesn't attempt to turn and started zipping in a few hours if it were me I'd go ahead and remove most of the air cell so I could observe the veins. Don't go farther than the air cell part. Careful not to nick a vein.
Keep the membrane moist and you can slowly peel back the membrane a bit at a time where there are no blood filled veins.
Mostly you will want to work towards just keeping the bill exposed and uncovering the eye area. You do not want a piece of membrane drying up over the eye.
Usually once you have removed the majority of that air cell and as long as the membrane doesn't get dry and stuck to it..
It can go ahead and push itself out from there when it's ready.

There isn't a cut and dry answer to this unfortunately.
If it doesn't attempt to turn and started zipping in a few hours if it were me I'd go ahead and remove most of the air cell so I could observe the veins. Don't go farther than the air cell part. Careful not to nick a vein.
Keep the membrane moist and you can slowly peel back the membrane a bit at a time where there are no blood filled veins.
Mostly you will want to work towards just keeping the bill exposed and uncovering the eye area. You do not want a piece of membrane drying up over the eye.
Usually once you have removed the majority of that air cell and as long as the membrane doesn't get dry and stuck to it..
It can go ahead and push itself out from there when it's ready.
The membrane was off the shell and around the duckling when I had a look - I think that’s why you can’t see the eye, it’s just the bill, that or the duckling is weirdly put right now. I accidentally hit something trying to open up the egg, applied pressure with the swab and put the egg back into the incubator - the egg wasn’t bleeding immensely and the duckling didn’t seem in distress because it was peeping all this time regardless and didn’t change its pitch but better safe than sorry.

It’s still got veins on the membrane covering the eye - I’m going to keep it moist and wait for the red to go, and for it to become clear, unless I’m able to pull it back now?
BB4F6522-DCDF-4A41-8CC3-DFC75DF676F7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom