Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

An update! The other egg that was put in three days later has externally pipped! But their sibling egg also died, it’s so weird how this is all playing out. Now the issue is does that mean the first egg that was there earlier is falling behind?
I’m so sorry that one was dead. From looking at the first pic, I suspected as much, but was trying to be hopeful. I also suspect it died a few days ago, so I don’t think you caused it.

Congrats on an external pip though!

Calls can definitely be a challenge. The biggest challenge is finding that fine line of when to intervene and when to wait.

Question though, do you own the parents? Are they show quality or pet quality birds?

I’m so sorry that one was dead. From looking at the first pic, I suspected as much, but was trying to be hopeful. I also suspect it died a few days ago, so I don’t think you caused it.

Congrats on an external pip though!

Calls can definitely be a challenge. The biggest challenge is finding that fine line of when to intervene and when to wait.

Question though, do you own the parents? Are they show quality or pet quality birds?
That makes me feel a bit better, but i could’ve sworn I saw it move several time in response to the other’s call? Regardless i guess it couldn’t be helped, these sort of things aren’t really unusual! It just hits harder because they’re my first hatch. Thank you btw! It’s quite exciting that it’s caught up so fast!

I don’t own the parents but I believe they’re show quality birds? Because the person I got them from is obsessed with show quality breeds etc. I was out all day to night yesterday - got home at three am and checked in on the egg, and found a a pip and a small crack near that. It’s 10 now so it’s been 19 and a half hours since then and there hasn’t been any change. At one point the duckling did a really loud call - it wasn’t those little peeps. Oh and the pip is just a crack, it isn’t an actual hole going through, so I’m worried the duckling isn’t getting any actual air?

Last edited:
Show quality calls are even more of a challenge! In addition to the smaller bills and shorter necks, the offspring are also known to not be quite as hardy and healthy. I don’t know why, possibly more inbreeding to achieve a desired “look”.

I have about 50 beautiful calls. Some are quite small and round, but most have longer bills than the “show people” desire. But they hatch much easier on their own (I assist probably less than 50% now).

Whereabouts are you located? Can you get a picture of the egg with the latest pip?

Show quality calls are even more of a challenge! In addition to the smaller bills and shorter necks, the offspring are also known to not be quite as hardy and healthy. I don’t know why, possibly more inbreeding to achieve a desired “look”.

I have about 50 beautiful calls. Some are quite small and round, but most have longer bills than the “show people” desire. But they hatch much easier on their own (I assist probably less than 50% now).

Whereabouts are you located? Can you get a picture of the egg with the latest pip?
I’m in the Uk and yes I’ll send it through - this is the latest one: the one that cracked before is the same except from an addition smaller crack to the right and left. She’s peeping a lot right now
21A60E2C-DF55-4A1C-851D-AD188EAEA17B.jpeg

I’m in the Uk and yes I’ll send it through - this is the latest one: the one that cracked before is the same except from an addition smaller crack to the right and left. She’s peeping a lot right now View attachment 3032713
Wow, that’s out closer to the end of the egg, but I think it will be ok. Hang in there!

Wow, that’s out closer to the end of the egg, but I think it will be ok. Hang in there!
Hopefully - they’re working really hard right now, the one that pipped a while back is still as vocal as ever, if not much more now. Should i make sure there’s a proper hole for him? Like a safety hole? And at what point should I actually intervene?

Hopefully - they’re working really hard right now, the one that pipped a while back is still as vocal as ever, if not much more now. Should i make sure there’s a proper hole for him? Like a safety hole? And at what point should I actually intervene?
Also is rhythmic tapping normal? I remember reading somewhere it might not be good (where someone was talking about their experience and what they picked up after their first failed hatch) and she’s going Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. like that, idk how to send the video

The ones that have externally pipped don’t need a safety hole. If it makes you feel more confident, you can remove the shell pieces that it already broke and inspect what’s going on.

The ones that have externally pipped don’t need a safety hole. If it makes you feel more confident, you can remove the shell pieces that it already broke and inspect what’s going on.
I think I’ll do that, it’ll put me more at ease. How much longer should I give the one that popped 20 hours ago? Are there any signs to look out for that might mean it’s time I intervene? Or maybe removing the air cell bit after 24 hours of that duckling still hasn’t unzipped?

I think I’ll do that, it’ll put me more at ease. How much longer should I give the one that popped 20 hours ago? Are there any signs to look out for that might mean it’s time I intervene? Or maybe removing the air cell bit after 24 hours of that duckling still hasn’t unzipped?
24 hours is kind of a benchmark (for other readers, specifically talking call ducks here!) I’d candle really well all over the egg searching for prominent veins, areas of clear fluid, etc. But that may be the time to open up the shell over the air cell.

Back
Top Bottom