Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

Hmmm. This what WV said on an earlier thread.
Yes I did see that so I waited a day after the other egg made an internal pip ( a little over a day) but I was looking at other threads where people were waiting for too long and they could’ve potentially saved the duckling if they acted quicker - and with the duckling barely moving, for example last night I heard tapping and today I looked for any bruising but theres nothing, not only that the duckling isn’t tapping anymore - I hope it’s just that it’s resting a bit, but that’s why I thought it’s best I open the egg to see the duckling myself because I thought it was dead already - and if not I could see how exactly it was positioned to find out where the beak is. I still can’t tell though..

If you are using coconut oil, every hour or two should be fine. Vaseline lasts a little longer.

The other one that is progressing, just let it do its thing. Multiple pips are a good sign.
I don’t have pure Vaseline on hand so I’ll wet the egg every hour instead! And I’ll wait for the other duckling then, I do hear him peeping so that’s a good sign right now. Thank you so much for your help so far by the way!

An update:
5F055D19-5CF1-4346-973A-C9198107604C.jpeg

How do I know when the veins have dried up completely? I’m a little worried right now as I didn’t see the duckling move when I was wetting the membrane (it moved an hour ago though). I’m going to keep going and see how it turns out. Also! Is it bad to get oil around the egg shell?

Another update - the blood vessels have receeeded from the open bit, is it safe to break into the membrane? The duckling isn’t moving, I’m worried it’s already died because it wasn’t able to get air :( - I think we’re looking at a wing? @WVduckchick

9062A134-2005-43A5-81BD-8EAFCBBA1FD6.jpeg

Attachments

• 765C8CC3-1E6A-4F54-908B-6BA1159296C5.jpeg
    765C8CC3-1E6A-4F54-908B-6BA1159296C5.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'd open the membrane and sees what happens. At this point you've not got much to lose. When I said make a tiny rescue hole this isn't exactly what I meant. Stay away from any veins, you've got a good path to open the membrane from what I can see.
So where it’s clear I should make a rly tiny hole and nothing further? Like trying to peel back or move the duckling

I'd open the membrane and sees what happens. At this point you've not got much to lose. When I said make a tiny rescue hole this isn't exactly what I meant. Stay away from any veins, you've got a good path to open the membrane from what I can see.
I just noticed a bubble inside, does that mean the ducklings dead?

I’ve had a look and I think the duckling has died - it’s very watery inside, I don’t know if maybe it was developing a lot slower than the other egg - I might’ve made a huge mistake trying to assist the egg and in the process killed it :(

Back
Top Bottom