Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

Pics
The membrane was off the shell and around the duckling when I had a look - I think that’s why you can’t see the eye, it’s just the bill, that or the duckling is weirdly put right now. I accidentally hit something trying to open up the egg, applied pressure with the swab and put the egg back into the incubator - the egg wasn’t bleeding immensely and the duckling didn’t seem in distress because it was peeping all this time regardless and didn’t change its pitch but better safe than sorry.

It’s still got veins on the membrane covering the eye - I’m going to keep it moist and wait for the red to go, and for it to become clear, unless I’m able to pull it back now?
View attachment 3033140
Sorry I had to go to bed.
I hope it's ok..
I would've said not yet. I see a large active vein over the eye area there.

This one looks good to me.
If it hasn’t progressed any more on its own yet, I would chip off the small area of shell that I have marked with a blue line, only as much of the area that is NOT attached to inner membrane, covering the ducklings head. Carefully moisten the membrane under there and see how it looks.
C083AD61-AB98-486F-86B2-E33D677780AF.jpeg

how is he doing now?
He’s still in the egg - I’ve been wetting the membrane every two hours waiting for the veins recede, he’s peeping a lot though even now so that’s a good sign he hopefully isn’t getting weak
Good luck!
Thank you!
Sorry I had to go to bed.
I hope it's ok..
I would've said not yet. I see a large active vein over the eye area there.
That’s alright, I’m keeping the membrane wet right now - the duckling also isn’t making any attempts to get out and in the process rupture the veins, he’s staying as he was either peeping or moving his head upwards at times

This one looks good to me.
If it hasn’t progressed any more on its own yet, I would chip off the small area of shell that I have marked with a blue line, only as much of the area that is NOT attached to inner membrane, covering the ducklings head. Carefully moisten the membrane under there and see how it looks.
View attachment 3033284
Alright I’ll remove that bit too - he really hasn’t progressed in the least. I see the egg shaking and he’ll move his head upwards a lot. And he’s still yawning - he might’ve just been tired when i took him out earlier and wasn’t absorbing as much.
image.jpg

Is it safe to cut into the membrane on the bottom and peel the front region back? Should I give the duckling water as well? Since I started around 3:30, it’s been 9 hours and a half now

They don't need water or food since they are absorbing the yolk which gives them all they need for a few days.
Oh ok that’s good!

the yawning doesn't mean he's tired. He's absorbing the yolk
Yeah he’s still absorbing - earlier he did it once but it might just be that he was tired then, since he’s doing it a dose bit more.

My only concern now is how long he’s able to stay like that - and I’m not sure if I can tell when he’s ready for me to remove the membrane from his head - incase lifting and peeling it over might result in the veins bleeding.

Oh ok that’s good!

Yeah he’s still absorbing - earlier he did it once but it might just be that he was tired then, since he’s doing it a dose bit more.

My only concern now is how long he’s able to stay like that - and I’m not sure if I can tell when he’s ready for me to remove the membrane from his head - incase lifting and peeling it over might result in the veins bleeding.
I don't know what to tell you. I hatch Indian Runners who are the opposite of your little calls. I'd wait until @WVduckchick or @shawluvsbirds comes back on. I think you can wait until they get on. It's a bit after 9am here for WV and SHAW is in Missouri which is even earlier.

Oh ok that’s good!

Don't progress any further right now, if he is yawning, then he is still absorbing. You may also see chewing motions with the beak.
How long ago did he externally pip? Keep in mind that they can take a couple days to hatch. Don't rush. He doesn't need water, the yolk is giving him all he needs for now.

Back
Top Bottom