Help! Air cell’s too small but duckling’s still Alive trying to pip!

Pics
I’ve placed a pee pad in there - is that fine?
It's closed up pretty good.. I've had some that have hatched with navals more open than that.
A lot of times what I do is put a few kleenexes down in a little tupperware bowl and place them in there and back in the incubator just so they can't flop around.
They can't really get up on their feet when their belly is bulged out like that and navel a bit open from coming out of the shell having just absorbed the yolk.
I read you already took the other one out that is good.
What aart said Is good advice typically.. but when you have one come out like that with a little bit of open navel you don't want the other one picking at it.

There aren’t any more to hatch - the duckling is doing ok, resting and still drying up - the hole doesn’t appear to have closed up yet though worryingly.

With the other duckling it keeps sneezing and water comes out of its nose - what should i do about that?
Is it doing it after taking a drink?
Sometimes what people think is sneezing is just them blowing out their snares and that's normal.

It's closed up pretty good.. I've had some that have hatched with navals more open than that.
A lot of times what I do is put a few kleenexes down in a little tupperware bowl and place them in there and back in the incubator just so they can't flop around.
They can't really get up on their feet when their belly is bulged out like that and navel a bit open from coming out of the shell having just absorbed the yolk.
I read you already took the other one out that is good.
What aart said Is good advice typically.. but when you have one come out like that with a little bit of open navel you don't want the other one picking at it.
Should I try that? I have paper towels - I don’t think I have Kleenex on hand. The duckling isn’t flopping around though, it stays on the left corner
Is it doing it after taking a drink?
Sometimes what people think is sneezing is just them blowing out their snares and that's normal.
The duckling took a dive a moment ago because it tried to jump out of the brooder to get to me - and since the duckling has quite the jump, it lenses up landing into the water bowl - aside from that it hasn’t drink much water yet.

any update pics
4BA32F6E-0F46-401F-B6EE-2F807869414D.jpeg

The duckling is really lonely right now, doesn’t stay under the incubator when I leave so I’ve been taking it out regularly and keeping it warm under my clothes

84867E09-B06E-441E-BE10-2C52D71F822D.jpeg

CF1E7209-11BE-4B34-8A63-82C03E8EB9E8.jpeg

Fur is growing over the hole - what happens if it doesn’t completely close up?

View attachment 3034798
The duckling is really lonely right now, doesn’t stay under the incubator when I leave so I’ve been taking it out regularly and keeping it warm under my clothes

View attachment 3034800
View attachment 3034801
Fur is growing over the hole - what happens if it doesn’t completely close up?
Sorry, busy morning for me. Great advice from everyone, I’m so glad you got 2 adorable little fluff balls!! I was thinking you had more to hatch, so a pair is so much better than a loner.

The belly will close up, probably by the end of today. Sometimes they take a day or so, but it should be fine. Nothing is hanging out, so that’s really good.

Congratulations! Great job you did. Pat yourself on the back. :)

Sorry, busy morning for me. Great advice from everyone, I’m so glad you got 2 adorable little fluff balls!! I was thinking you had more to hatch, so a pair is so much better than a loner.

The belly will close up, probably by the end of today. Sometimes they take a day or so, but it should be fine. Nothing is hanging out, so that’s really good.

Congratulations! Great job you did. Pat yourself on the back. :)
Thank you! And I’m also really glad I got a pair at least, so the duckling doesn’t have to be alone

Back
Top Bottom