Help!!! Angel is getting worse.

I totally agree with spiritdance. Prolonging this over the counter treatment can cause permanent damage or even death to the bird. It is clearly in the blood stream, which means the topical treatment will not work. You will need to see a vet and get the proper meds. I did check one of my poultry disease books. It states there are two other versions of bumblefoot. The normal foot one, the chronic arthritic from and the acute septicemic form. It sounds like your bird has the acute septicemic form or Staphyloccus aureus (Bumblefoot). This is when the illness runs through the entire body with legions developing on the skin and especially body openings. Check the ears! This is also when it does the same internally to the organs. These lesions will attack the liver and other vital internal organs. They will also cause chronic arthritis in the birds. Mortallity is 60%, if untreated. It also states weight loss, and watery poo, and pus in effected joints. Not all symptoms are present right away. The treatment is antibiotics. See a vet.

The Vet is closed for the weekend. I will try to get in on Monday. I bought Lamisil Gel... that is a potent antifungal gel and some chlorox ... but I guess I will hold off until Monday and take her to the vet. Our vets are not bird people...so I don't know how much help that will be.

Do you think she will be okay until Monday or should I try calling the vet at home and seeing if I can get antibiotics?

No antibiotics. If she was in danger I probably could call the vet and get them, she seems to be alert and is eating. She is in the living room keeping me company with her little head peeking out of the tub keeping tabs on me. I will for sure take her in on Monday and call before if she seems to be going downhill. Can you get them without a prescription. I should probably have some on hand. We don't have a feed store here. I live in a small town in Alaska. We have a vet. Nearest feed store is 300 miles away.

Is there someone in your area that deals with farm animals or livestock? I hope Angel gets better. If she's alert and eating, that's a good sign.

I just ordered baytril just to have on hand hopefully won't ever have to use it. I hope your Angel will start feeling better soon.. and since she is eating and drinking thats a good sign.

I might soak her tonight. Use the wound cleanser and then put some Lamisil mixed w/ cortisone creme on her vent and around her oil gland and just treat her like that until I get her to the vet on Monday. Someone on the duck site mentioned putting a very small amount of chlorox in her soak water. At this point I am a little afraid I might make things worse before I get her to the vet. I don't want to do any harm.

Back
Top Bottom