HELP baby chick has injured leg

momofdrew

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Rochester,New Hampshire
I dont know how it happened but think she got banged by the garden gate when the wind blew it shut she was on the out side and everyone else was on the inside of the garden when I found her...her right leg feels broken at the knee joint???? should I splint it??? leave it???watch her what???

I have had that happen to one of my girls she broke her leg not sure how,I took some of the tape like for horse lower leg,no sticky it only sticks to it self and popsicle sticks and made her ware it for about a week and half she now fine and gets all over the place can't tell which girl it was,so i say splint it mt opinion hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about splinting it. Great suggestion about the horse tape. You might want to take a healthy chick and make a mock-up splint from that chick's leg so that you don't risk further injuring it. Get someone to help you apply the splint.

I'd keep her separated but put the calmest chick you have in with her to keep her company. The others may pick at the splint or even walk on her.

I've got a chick with an injured leg, too. I've only got 2 chicks, though. The other chick loves to dust bathe where the injured one is but the injured one doesn't seem to mind.

Good luck & keep us posted.

well she has a splint on I hope it stays on I hope I did it right...I didnt know how tight it should be.... she and her sister are in the brooder under the light... she is eating.... her Momma is having a fit because she can hear sister cheeping...from the coop

I realize she could go into shock and die but I am hoping for the best...

thanks for your quick responses....

Poor thing. A splint that's firmly wrapped but not too tight will help the swelling, too.

Hope she heals quickly. They're resilient little things. It's a good sign that she's eating. If she hasn't gone into shock yet that's a good sign, too.

Day after her accident she seems to be eating and drinking and she scoots around the brooder...I had to put momma and brother in with her and her sister as everyone was going nutzoid until I did...Momma snuggled right up to her and kept her warm and cozy I think that helped her from going shocky...the splint stayed on and her foot is warm good signs...we are going one day at a time I hope she makes it...

Day 4 and she still seems to be fine...I let her free range and she did fine...so I put the whole family back into the coop this afternoon...trying to round them all up to put them back in the brooder was causing them too much stress...

Back
Top Bottom