HELP! Baby chick is lethargic and won't eat or drink!

meredithrocks2006

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Hi, so about a week ago I hatched 10 chicks, and up until earlier today, they were all fine. Then earlier this afternoon, one of my chicks has become very lethargic. She will just stand there and sleep, she won't even lay down. She won't eat or drink, although I have fed her a few drops of water off the end of my finger and she appears to drink it. I have tried dipping her beak in the food and water but she won't even try to eat or drink. I did notice that her butt was a little pasty, so I did wipe it clean, and her vent is not blocked. (Not sure if it was before I cleaned it, and if it was, I'm not sure for how long.) I do keep checking to make sure her vent is not getting blocked anymore, but I don't know what to do from here. HELP PLEASE!

I had one that got blocked...the little turd was hard as a rock. I held it's back end under the faucet which turns into t spray with warm water and she (or with my luck he) just laid in my hand and loved it. I dried it with paper towels and put it back with the rest of them under a light and it was fine. It was a week old.

Yes I could see how if it was just solid around their vent that it would cause a blockage, but I have been consistently cleaning her off and from what I can see the only poo that is coming out is mostly whitish with a very slight yellow tint, and some of it is a little mucousy.

Back
Top Bottom