Help! Bleeding Wing

Lemonade

Chirping
Aug 20, 2022
I let my ducks out of their house to wander in the yard and play in the pool for a bit. To my knowledge, no dogs or other larger animals went near them. I saw the two of them in the pool together and everything seemed fine but when I went to check, one had a bleeding wing. I got some pictures of the wing, but didn’t want to poke around too much in case I was hurting her even more. As for her behavior, she seems to be a little agitated and is preening more than usual. My other duck has been put back into their house.

What should I do about the bleeding? I have some powder but we have only used it to close cuts on their beaks. The bleeding seems to be coming from just one feather so is it just a natural case of growing in new feathers? It is also possible that my other duck may have pecked her, but nothing this extreme has happened until now. One other cause may be that she often uses her wings to balance since she did not receive enough niacin before we got her from another home and now has some trouble walking.

Attachments

• 5F484934-7107-4AE2-8A6F-D6F94C4D5177.jpeg
    5F484934-7107-4AE2-8A6F-D6F94C4D5177.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 85F4F679-0B5D-4DE9-9CEF-154BBBA18182.jpeg
    85F4F679-0B5D-4DE9-9CEF-154BBBA18182.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 5
  • EDD785A4-FA75-4A0B-9334-CA901BD16A21.jpeg
    EDD785A4-FA75-4A0B-9334-CA901BD16A21.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Looks like a blood feather may have gotten broken Some say to pull them out I have never done this. The blood stop powder can help.

Are you using B complex to help strengthen her legs?

I let my ducks out of their house to wander in the yard and play in the pool for a bit. To my knowledge, no dogs or other larger animals went near them. I saw the two of them in the pool together and everything seemed fine but when I went to check, one had a bleeding wing. I got some pictures of the wing, but didn’t want to poke around too much in case I was hurting her even more. As for her behavior, she seems to be a little agitated and is preening more than usual. My other duck has been put back into their house.

What should I do about the bleeding? I have some powder but we have only used it to close cuts on their beaks. The bleeding seems to be coming from just one feather so is it just a natural case of growing in new feathers? It is also possible that my other duck may have pecked her, but nothing this extreme has happened until now. One other cause may be that she often uses her wings to balance since she did not receive enough niacin before we got her from another home and now has some trouble walking.
Try to stop the bleeding, it becomes dangerous if the blood keeps coming.
If it does not dry up soon, you'll probably need to pull the feather. It will hurt her, but is sometimes needed. After that, you should be able to stop the bleed. A new feather will grow back.
As I said, this does hurt, so if you can, try to stop the bleeding without pulling the feather, first. If it you can get it to dry up, theres no need to remove the feather.

Looks like a blood feather may have gotten broken Some say to pull them out I have never done this. The blood stop powder can help.

Are you using B complex to help strengthen her legs?
I have b complex, but I can’t figure out how to get her to drink it (she won’t stay still so I might just need someone to hold her). Also the blood dried up so I didn’t pull out the feather - I don’t know how to do that properly so I’m glad I didn’t have to.

I have b complex, but I can’t figure out how to get her to drink it (she won’t stay still so I might just need someone to hold her). Also the blood dried up so I didn’t pull out the feather - I don’t know how to do that properly so I’m glad I didn’t have to.
you can just put the b complex (1ml) on a tasty treat. Peas, or blueberries, or egg, whatever she likes. She'll gobble it down.
It's good that the feather dried up okay! Always the better outcome here.

Back
Top Bottom