[HELP] BLOODY COCK FIGHT!!!!

sus9441

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
I have these two fellows who has been getting along fine, with very minor fights for the past year. However, today, they had a VERY BLOODY fight to the point where one doesn't allow the other one to enter the coop and blood was dripping off both of their combs. I have very little hens (only 2) so far. So one partner for each male. I tried to put them up their resting area to sleep, however, they continued to fight and I am really scared that one will die.... and I really don't want that to happen!! For now, I separated them, but one is living in like a baby house. I read other articles that they do this for "dominance" to sort out their pecking order, but I don't know if they should be put together again............ So what should I do!!!!!???????

You have 1 too many (or maybe 2 too many) roosters.
Get rid of one, they are fighting for dominance.
1 may still be too many for just 2 hens.
1 rooster can keep around 10 hens fertilized easily, maybe even more.

aart is so right, and things probably won't improve between these two. Move at least one of them on ASAP, and keep them separated until then. Or you could build more coops and separate runs, not sharing a fence line, because they will fight right through it also. Mary

Last edited:
I have never had two roosters kill each other, they might look like it, I've seen some bloody fights, I always let them finish it unless someone is obviously losing in a bad way. If you separate more than likely they will go at it again when you release them. You do need some more hens. I have 10 adult roosters, and 4 little ones, so I've seen a lot of sorting out the pecking order, most of it is done without any real fighting, but occasionally it's going to happen.

I have never had two roosters kill each other, they might look like it, I've seen some bloody fights, I always let them finish it unless someone is obviously losing in a bad way. If you separate more than likely they will go at it again when you release them. You do need some more hens. I have 10 adult roosters, and 4 little ones, so I've seen a lot of sorting out the pecking order, most of it is done without any real fighting, but occasionally it's going to happen.
How many hens do you have?
Also, what do they do to sort out the pecking order without/apart from fighting?

I think I have 36 large hens, which have 3 large roosters and one bantam rooster, there are three other bantam roosters with no hens, that's in my large free range shed.

In my bantam pen I have 9 hens to 2 main roosters, with 1 spare who hangs with them, then there are 3 pullets, and 4 young roosters, and a little one who I'm unsure of yet.

Most work out their dominance through posturing, one will usually back down, all out fights are rare, and usually occur in the spring, and when they are young, my large breeds have never fought, the bantam roosters are bit more feisty, so they are the ones who will go at it occasionally. In the past I tried breaking them up, but they will keep at it until they are done, now I will sit and watch, but don't intervene, and usually leave before it's over, they will be a sad mess for a few days. I have turkeys as well, their fighting can be way worst.

Last edited:
So one partner for each male.

Cockerels and roosters do not think this way. They do NOT form pairs. They will attempt to acquire and/or breed any pullet or hen they can find, trying to build a harem of females. It is no surprise that one is trying to prevent the other from mating resulting in a fight. You need to permanently remove one, or both males.

Back
Top Bottom