Help - bloody droppings!

amyduck

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Oakland, California
At first I thought it was just intestinal lining because it's been pretty orange, but this seems to have more blood and it's gone on for 3 maybe 4 days and seems worse. My chicken has also not been herself - it could be due to a heavy molt, but I'm not sure. She has always gobbled down food, jumping for greens etc. and now is being pickier, eats less and is a bit hunched over. The other two chickens are fine... These are the same droppings the top one is after I pushed it around. Any advice? I'm about to go out of town and hate to leave her like this, even though she will have very good care I'm worried about her.
IMG_4214 (1).jpeg
IMG_4213 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
How old is your bird? It may be Coccidiosis.
Sorry, she's a year and a half, free range easter egger, although lately I've been keeping her and the other two inside much of the time due to all the smoke in Northern California... I'll add that my boyfriend is fastidious about cleaning up all their poop in my backyard, although we do have a racoon that comes into the yard at night and of course wild birds...

At first I thought it was just intestinal lining because it's been pretty orange, but this seems to have more blood and it's gone on for 3 maybe 4 days and seems worse. My chicken has also not been herself - it could be due to a heavy molt, but I'm not sure. She has always gobbled down food, jumping for greens etc. and now is being pickier, eats less and is a bit hunched over. The other two chickens are fine... These are the same droppings the top one is after I pushed it around. Any advice? I'm about to go out of town and hate to leave her like this, even though she will have very good care I'm worried about her.
Has she been eating anything red - tomato, berries, etc.?

I do agree it looks more like coral colored urates, but I understand your concern too.
Molting can be very hard on some birds and they have a hard time. It's not unusual for them to be picky eaters during molt.
Since you have seen this 3-4 days, then I would consider giving her Corid.
Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

If it's possible, take some samples to your vet for a fecal float, see if she needs de-wormed. If she does then use Valbazen instead Safeguard since she's molting.

Sorry, she's a year and a half, free range easter egger, although lately I've been keeping her and the other two inside much of the time due to all the smoke in Northern California... I'll add that my boyfriend is fastidious about cleaning up all their poop in my backyard, although we do have a racoon that comes into the yard at night and of course wild birds...
Another thing that can cause blood in poop is hookworms. Only way to know for sure, is to take a fecal sample to your vet.

Has she been eating anything red - tomato, berries, etc.?

I do agree it looks more like coral colored urates, but I understand your concern too.
Molting can be very hard on some birds and they have a hard time. It's not unusual for them to be picky eaters during molt.
Since you have seen this 3-4 days, then I would consider giving her Corid.
Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

If it's possible, take some samples to your vet for a fecal float, see if she needs de-wormed. If she does then use Valbazen instead Safeguard since she's molting.

No nothing red at all... thank you very much!

It's very confusing, some people claim hookworms don't exist in chickens?? Do you know if they are visible with a good magnifying glass or would I need a microscope? Are you thinking it could have come from the raccoon or wildbirds?
Thanks!
Raccoons can carry them, & can be transmitted to other animals including humans.

I think they get big enough to be seen without a microscope.

Back
Top Bottom