Help! Bloody in Brooder

ChicksandSticks24

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2022
I've found a couple spots of this bloody diarrhea. All bright red. Chicks are 6weeks. All are vaccinated against Coccidiosis. It's not anywhere near a normal poop but everyone is acting fine.

I put some VetRX in the water. Should I start corrid? Could this be anything besides Coccidiosis?

20220326_124739.jpg

Should I start corrid?
Right away!

Not every poop will be like this even from the birds who did it.. I watch obsessively and normal poops still happen.

Did you give medicated feed, was the vaccine not effective, or was it actually a Marek's vaccine? But I would definitely treat ASAP before more symptoms do show up, this a pretty clear one despite no evidence of decline observed yet.

Also welcome to BYC! :frow

They got both Mareks and Coccidiosis vaccine. Not on medicated feed currently.
We just ran out
Medicated feed, actually negates the vaccine for coccidiosis rendering it ineffective, someone should have told you!

Treating right away with the Corid should prevent any deaths.

I too would remove that vet rx.. and hide it in the trash can. :oops:

Keep your shavings extra dry and your water free from poo. It takes at least 6 days after exposure to coccidia before any symptoms will show up. Noting that Coccidia are in every poo essentially but only become a problem when too many are ingested.

Be sure no vitamins are added to the Corid water as it works by mimicking thiamine to slow the growth and starve out the coccidia. It does not actively kill them,

ETA: the layers should already have built resistance to anything on their pasture. I would not likely be treating them.

The severe outbreak dosage of liquid Corid is 10 ml (2 tsp) per gallon for 7 days. You can also give a very sick chick a dose of the undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound of weight as a boost daily. Keep your brooder as clean and dry as possible. Raise waterers to shoulder height of the smallest chick.

Right away!

Not every poop will be like this even from the birds who did it.. I watch obsessively and normal poops still happen.

Did you give medicated feed, was the vaccine not effective, or was it actually a Marek's vaccine? But I would definitely treat ASAP before more symptoms do show up, this a pretty clear one despite no evidence of decline observed yet.

Also welcome to BYC! :frow
They got both Mareks and Coccidiosis vaccine. Not on medicated feed currently.
We just ran out and dumped the VetRX water and gave corid to our layers and these 6wk Olds. We have 5 day old chick's indoors who I am watching closely and will start right away if I see anything.

Medicated feed, actually negates the vaccine for coccidiosis rendering it ineffective, someone should have told you!

Treating right away with the Corid should prevent any deaths.

I too would remove that vet rx.. and hide it in the trash can. :oops:

Keep your shavings extra dry and your water free from poo. It takes at least 6 days after exposure to coccidia before any symptoms will show up. Noting that Coccidia are in every poo essentially but only become a problem when too many are ingested.

Be sure no vitamins are added to the Corid water as it works by mimicking thiamine to slow the growth and starve out the coccidia. It does not actively kill them,

ETA: the layers should already have built resistance to anything on their pasture. I would not likely be treating them.
Thanks!
I've never done medicated feed. Wasn't sure if I should switch over now but you answered that.
:)

Back
Top Bottom