Help..broody hen with first clutch

krazycow6

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Zephyrhills, FL
She has broke 2 eggs already, there are 7 left is this to big of a clutch? Is breaking eggs normal? I've had these chickens since they were babies but this is the first time I've let one set, only because of her perservence. She is VERY protective of her nest, and she only gets down once a day to eat and poop. I'm just wondering is she ready, and is all this normal? I'm pregnant too so maybe I'm just concerned..lol. Thanks ahead for any information!!

While them breaking eggs is not totally unusual, it is not normal. It kinda sounds like the eggs may be thin shelled or maybe slightly cracked to start with. Maybe next time you can candle the eggs to eliminate the higher risk eggs?

It is also possible that another hen tries to lay with her and the broody tries to prevent her. Eggs could be broken in the scuffle.

From looking at your breeds, nine eggs should be easy for her to manage. A bantam or such it could be too many, but not for a full sized hen. I would be comfortable with a dozen eggs under one of them and have seen some hens handle 16 without a problem.

Good luck!

yes since we only have 2 laying boxes this very well could be whats going on! I moved her into a safety nest with lots of hay and covered it. I also cleaned her up the best I could without soaking her belly. She has pulled most all her feathers from underneath anyway! Thanks so much for the support
smile.png

Two of ours ended up cracked, but could have been caused by my 3yr old just as easily as her. I had to put a padlock on her cage. She was snacking on the first one when I found it and took it away, so when I saw the second cracked one I just went ahead and took it. No others have been cracked since, so whatever happened, I don't think was intentional and I'm not worried about the others. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom