HELP!! Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my chicken???

anica789

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
She has a really nasty pus-type swelling at the front of her eye. It is protruding out sideways quite some way. Can't seem to find any info matching the description.

IMGP0723.jpg

IMGP0722.jpg

is it possible another one pecked her in the eye and now its infected? i'd put some terramycin eye ointment in there and see how it does after a day or so. and i'd separate her if you haven't done that already.

I have a friend who had a sick flock that had similar eye issues and sulmet in the water helped. I just dont know if it helped the ones that were bad......just the ones in the early stages. I suggest keeping several basic meds on hand to try when they get sick. There are alot of symtoms that can be several illnesses. So i keep sulmet, terrimycin and tylan 50 on hand as well at vet rx. I hope you are able to get it under control.

Thanks, sorry I should have explained; she's a solo chicken so can't have been pecked. I will look around for the medications suggested, I'm in Australia and we may or may not have the same brand names. I guess I will have to take the poor girl to the vet;- I just don't know if local vets really know that much about chickens- they don't deal with them every day like you people do.
Thanks so much for your help.

Oh there's been no change in her behaviour, and she's eating and drinking normally. She can't be comfortable though, poor thing.

Thanks again.

I thought that to begin with, but the info I read described that as making the eye cloudy and watery. But that's why I'm here- I don't want to guess.
Is this what eye worm looks like? If so, how do I treat it?

look and see if the nares are plugged up...there may be a cheesy type of pus in the sweeling that will need manual removal...some here have described helpgin that along by gently massaging then wiping it out when it exists the eye. You will need to flush it at any rate with sterile saline (you can make this yourself by boiling 1/4 tsp salt with a quart of water for five minutes). Then apply an antibiotic type of EYE ointment. If it were me I would ask a vet.

I'm reading the chicken hand health book, and it says that a small white worm will get into the coner of a chickens eye and possibly swell up, get inflammed, or become watery. Is she trying to scrach her eye or anything like that? It says that the chicken will try and scrach her eye. Treatment is 1 to 2 drops of 5% cresol and immediatly flush out the eye with water or 3 drops of ivermectin twice a day until it clears up.

Quote:
well, here in Oklahoma, even the vets think chickens are only good for food. We have a friend who's a vet and he has flat out told me not to call with chicken problems because he skipped the week of classes on poultry to go watch the college baseball team. I kinda wish we had an avian vet here, but alas, we don't. that's why this forum is so AWESOME!

Back
Top Bottom