Help! Casey (My Duck) has a prolapse! First time treatment for me.

Update: Good and bad news - despite being in the dark, Casey laid an egg this morning - good that it isn't bound, bad that she had to do that. It had a small amount of blood on it. She seems in good spirits though. I haven't checked her out yet, the vet will be open in a couple minutes so I will call for an appointment. If I can get one soon, I will be getting me and her around, if it is a little later, I will check her out and see how she's doing. Either way will post when I have more news.
fl.gif

Update: Good and bad news - despite being in the dark, Casey laid an egg this morning - good that it isn't bound, bad that she had to do that. It had a small amount of blood on it. She seems in good spirits though. I haven't checked her out yet, the vet will be open in a couple minutes so I will call for an appointment. If I can get one soon, I will be getting me and her around, if it is a little later, I will check her out and see how she's doing. Either way will post when I have more news.
fl.gif
This one was probably already in the making, glad she didn't have a problem laying it though.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

She has a 9:30 appointment for today, (it is currently 8:20) so she is getting a bath. I gave her two palms of food (maybe 1/4C) and since she hasn't eaten since 11:00 yesterday she devoured it ravenously. I gave her a once over while carrying her to the bath and she doesn't look any worse / better than yesterday so that's probably good. Well I have to lay out some towels and let her preen herself dry so we will be ready to leave in 1/2 hr or so.
caf.gif

She has a 9:30 appointment for today, (it is currently 8:20) so she is getting a bath. I gave her two palms of food (maybe 1/4C) and since she hasn't eaten since 11:00 yesterday she devoured it ravenously. I gave her a once over while carrying her to the bath and she doesn't look any worse / better than yesterday so that's probably good. Well I have to lay out some towels and let her preen herself dry so we will be ready to leave in 1/2 hr or so.
caf.gif
hugs.gif

Sounds like you are doing very well by her.

Thanks Amiga, I hope so. She is so tame and trusting. I took her out of the tub and had a small spot laid out with two bath towels. My plan was to set her down and take up part of one with my upper torso and then herd her with my hand and arm on the other towel. She just stayed where I set her with about 1-1/2" between her and my chest on one side and the same space to the couch on the other side. She didn't feel the need to walk to the other towel where there was room, she just preened herself right there. Pushing and bumping me as necessary.
love.gif
I hope the visit isn't so traumatic that she becomes more wary. She and Allie are so tame with us. I am currently warming up the car so she has a nice warm ride to the vet.

Thanks Amiga, I hope so. She is so tame and trusting. I took her out of the tub and had a small spot laid out with two bath towels. My plan was to set her down and take up part of one with my upper torso and then herd her with my hand and arm on the other towel. She just stayed where I set her with about 1-1/2" between her and my chest on one side and the same space to the couch on the other side. She didn't feel the need to walk to the other towel where there was room, she just preened herself right there. Pushing and bumping me as necessary.
love.gif
I hope the visit isn't so traumatic that she becomes more wary. She and Allie are so tame with us. I am currently warming up the car so she has a nice warm ride to the vet.
I know she'll be happy to have you with her.

Glad she is handling the whole thing great I had a call duck at the poultry sanctuary I work at have a prolapse the other day and she was so upset for the next few days after ward.
Also if you don't mind what state are you in?

We're back from the vet. Casey was a super trooper! I wish I would have filmed the whole thing because I was so proud of her. The vet couldn't believe how calm and tame she was. She was curious and friendly before we got down to business. Then we flipped her over. The poops were very hard and left her very raw. She only struggled a little bit. She grunted twice and during the worst poop removal she let out three objection calls (not quite a full quack - they are the same noise Noir makes when being attacked in the chest by Tella
idunno.gif
I take those calls to mean Objection! Objection! The grunts are more a "put out" irritation vocalization.) She peddled with her feet a couple times, but otherwise just lie on her back with her head over my arm and put up with it. The vet put her back together and started the first stitch and Casey pooped... Everything came out again
barnie.gif
. They cleaned it up and tried again. The vet went with 2 stitches and said that would still leave 2/3 of her cloaca to stretch in case she lays an egg. We will monitor her very close.

Unfortunately when I say we, I mean Yvonne. As soon as I got out of the vet I got a call from work: I need to fly to Durham, NC tomorrow and won't come back until Friday
somad.gif
I hate dumping all the work on Yvonne like this. She will need to administer 3 syringes of liquid/day plus grease up Casey's butt with a topical antibiotic every day. Yvonne has a hard time doing the things that a duck won't cooperate with.
sad.png
I'm just brutish and make it happen.
roll.png
Hopefully everything will go ok. We are going to keep Casey in an XL dog carrier with towels over the holes and door to keep it dark. Won't be much fun, but hopefully she will rest and won't lay eggs.
fl.gif

We're back from the vet. Casey was a super trooper! I wish I would have filmed the whole thing because I was so proud of her. The vet couldn't believe how calm and tame she was. She was curious and friendly before we got down to business. Then we flipped her over. The poops were very hard and left her very raw. She only struggled a little bit. She grunted twice and during the worst poop removal she let out three objection calls (not quite a full quack - they are the same noise Noir makes when being attacked in the chest by Tella
idunno.gif
I take those calls to mean Objection! Objection! The grunts are more a "put out" irritation vocalization.) She peddled with her feet a couple times, but otherwise just lie on her back with her head over my arm and put up with it. The vet put her back together and started the first stitch and Casey pooped... Everything came out again
barnie.gif
. They cleaned it up and tried again. The vet went with 2 stitches and said that would still leave 2/3 of her cloaca to stretch in case she lays an egg. We will monitor her very close.

Unfortunately when I say we, I mean Yvonne. As soon as I got out of the vet I got a call from work: I need to fly to Durham, NC tomorrow and won't come back until Friday
somad.gif
I hate dumping all the work on Yvonne like this. She will need to administer 3 syringes of liquid/day plus grease up Casey's butt with a topical antibiotic every day. Yvonne has a hard time doing the things that a duck won't cooperate with.
sad.png
I'm just brutish and make it happen.
roll.png
Hopefully everything will go ok. We are going to keep Casey in an XL dog carrier with towels over the holes and door to keep it dark. Won't be much fun, but hopefully she will rest and won't lay eggs.
fl.gif
So that was poop hardened back there. Wow I am glad he was able to get them off and stitch her up even though it did take a few tries. One objection came out the other end so to speak.

When I have to do anything by myself I use a large towel to wrap the duck or chicken in that way they can't fight with their wings or their feet. Hope Yvonne can take care of Casey with out too much trouble. Wrapping in a towel also helps keep the back end objection from hitting me.

I think she'll do fine. Her and Casey
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom