Help! Casey (My Duck) has a prolapse! First time treatment for me.

I wish I were close enough to help Yvonne..... we're all pulling for y'uns!

Super report on the vet visit, Tevye's Dad! Hugs all around
hugs.gif

So that was poop hardened back there. Wow I am glad he was able to get them off and stitch her up even though it did take a few tries. One objection came out the other end so to speak.

When I have to do anything by myself I use a large towel to wrap the duck or chicken in that way they can't fight with their wings or their feet. Hope Yvonne can take care of Casey with out too much trouble. Wrapping in a towel also helps keep the back end objection from hitting me.

I think she'll do fine. Her and Casey
thumbsup.gif
I'll let Yvonne know. I think Casey will be a pretty good patient. She's a tough cookie and she trusts us more than any other duck we have (hopefully this won't change that.)
I wish I were close enough to help Yvonne..... we're all pulling for y'uns!

Super report on the vet visit, Tevye's Dad! Hugs all around
hugs.gif
Thanks, both of you, you are my (and many duck owners on the forum's) rocks.
hugs.gif

Casey just laid another egg. She was flopping around having a very hard time. She was only opening to about half the diameter of the egg and her tissues were stressed at their limit. Of course it is too late to get a vet at this time. I let her have a warm soak for a while and coated the egg as far back as I could with K-Y, but she was nowhere near dilated enough to lay it. I think I remember reading that a broken egg is very hazardous so I didn't do that. She was prolapsing (I know this is normal as a temporary measure) over an inch and the external cloaca was fully stretched and still not close enough to pass the egg. So I got a set of nail scissors and cut one of the stitches. That did it. She laid the egg with a decent amount of blood (but it doesn't seem to still be flowing). I let her bathe again and she seemed to enjoy that. She now seems happy and unstressed. Most (maybe all) of her prolapse went back in by itself. I will re-apply the antibiotic cream to her vent once it is dry. She will definitely be going back to the vet tomorrow for at least an inspection.

Yvonne would have had a very hard time with this had she been alone and I have no choice but to get on a plane tomorrow and won't be back until Friday. She hasn't spent as much time here as I have so has less antecedental knowledge and also has a hard time being firm with animals for her own good. Additionally she won't have an extra set of hands to help her or to fetch things. I ask any of you who read this to be ready to help her with this if possible. I will direct her to this thread and make sure she is subscribed to it.

Also I (for Yvonne) would like any possible information on laying assistance. I did my best, and I think I did ok this time, but since Casey will be going back to the vet, the vet may decide to put another stitch back in and things might be different if Casey continues to lay. Also I think I remember something about a hormonal treatment to temporarily stop laying (actually I wouldn't care if she permanently stopped laying) if anyone knows anything about that, please let me know, maybe we can take that info to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your support. We will do our best to help Casey.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Casey just laid another egg. She was flopping around having a very hard time. She was only opening to about half the diameter of the egg and her tissues were stressed at their limit. Of course it is too late to get a vet at this time. I let her have a warm soak for a while and coated the egg as far back as I could with K-Y, but she was nowhere near dilated enough to lay it. I think I remember reading that a broken egg is very hazardous so I didn't do that. She was prolapsing (I know this is normal as a temporary measure) over an inch and the external cloaca was fully stretched and still not close enough to pass the egg. So I got a set of nail scissors and cut one of the stitches. That did it. She laid the egg with a decent amount of blood (but it doesn't seem to still be flowing). I let her bathe again and she seemed to enjoy that. She now seems happy and unstressed. Most (maybe all) of her prolapse went back in by itself. I will re-apply the antibiotic cream to her vent once it is dry. She will definitely be going back to the vet tomorrow for at least an inspection.

Yvonne would have had a very hard time with this had she been alone and I have no choice but to get on a plane tomorrow and won't be back until Friday. She hasn't spent as much time here as I have so has less antecedental knowledge and also has a hard time being firm with animals for her own good. Additionally she won't have an extra set of hands to help her or to fetch things. I ask any of you who read this to be ready to help her with this if possible. I will direct her to this thread and make sure she is subscribed to it.

Also I (for Yvonne) would like any possible information on laying assistance. I did my best, and I think I did ok this time, but since Casey will be going back to the vet, the vet may decide to put another stitch back in and things might be different if Casey continues to lay. Also I think I remember something about a hormonal treatment to temporarily stop laying (actually I wouldn't care if she permanently stopped laying) if anyone knows anything about that, please let me know, maybe we can take that info to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your support. We will do our best to help Casey.
fl.gif

@Tevyes Dad it was Amiga [it won't let me tag her] that had the shot for her duck. I hope she comes on this morning to check this thread. I wouldn't let him put in another stitch especially if the prolapse went back inside on it's own.That way if she does go and lay another one it will come out easier. Wonder if you or Yvonne got on the Montana thread and asked if anyone was close by in case she needs some help.We're here to help in cyber space but maybe having someone physically close would help too.

Last edited:
@Tevyes Dad it was Amiga [it won't let me tag her] that had the shot for her duck. I hope she comes on this morning to check this thread. I wouldn't let him put in another stitch especially if the prolapse went back inside on it's own.That way if she does go and lay another one it will come out easier. Wonder if you or Yvonne got on the Montana thread and asked if anyone was close by in case she needs some help.We're here to help in cyber space but maybe having someone physically close would help too.
The closest BYCer, I've come across is in Boseman (about 2hrs drive away) and they hadn't been on in months back when I was on last. I'm sure that the lady across the street might be able to lend a hand if she really needed it physically, but mainly I'm looking for experience and or emotional support from those here. (I know racing to the house is probably out
wink.png
). I'm going to check on Casey, and see when the vet can take a look at her now. Will be back in a bit...

OK, I have a 9:45 appointment at the vet's office. Yvonne took off the week without pay and I need to be at the airport around 11:30 so we will both go to the vet and I don't know if I will make it home. I may be posting from the airport next, or the next post may be Yvonne. I will post if anything happens between now and the visit. But right now I need to get myself around, do some final packing and get ready for a trip to the vet / the airport. Thanks.

Ack!

The vet gave Sechs an injection to stop laying .. . I'll see if I can find the name of that stuff.

Okay

She was given Cystorelin, 50 mcg/ml

@Tevyes Dad

Last edited:
Thanks Amiga. When we asked the vet about it, the one she was familiar with for budgies and such was not recommended for waterfowl. This will help she may have to order it if they dont have it. I'm waiting to board now but I called Yvonne and told her to check here.

Miss Lydia I'll be in your neck of the woods shortly... Other side of the state, but I'll wave in your general direction.

Back
Top Bottom