Help! Casey (My Duck) has a prolapse! First time treatment for me.

Hello @Amiga and @Miss Lydia: Thank you sooo much for your advice + kind words! I appreciate the vote of confidence that I'll be able to take care of Casey. I will certainly do my very best. Our Casey girl did fantastic at the vet again with an injection + another set of sutures. I was shown how to properly dose her so that task seems a bit less daunting now... The neighbor accross the street (aka Honorary Duckie Grandma who spoils the ducks with extra treats) might be able to lend me a hand so everything will be fine. Presently Casey is hanging out in her dark kennel in our kitchen and had 2 water drinking opportunities already. I just called our vet re: the shot Sechs rec'd to prevent laying and am waiting for a return call. We will take care of our little girl, no matter what needs to be done. :)

Hello @Amiga and @Miss Lydia: Thank you sooo much for your advice + kind words! I appreciate the vote of confidence that I'll be able to take care of Casey. I will certainly do my very best. Our Casey girl did fantastic at the vet again with an injection + another set of sutures. I was shown how to properly dose her so that task seems a bit less daunting now... The neighbor accross the street (aka Honorary Duckie Grandma who spoils the ducks with extra treats) might be able to lend me a hand so everything will be fine. Presently Casey is hanging out in her dark kennel in our kitchen and had 2 water drinking opportunities already. I just called our vet re: the shot Sechs rec'd to prevent laying and am waiting for a return call. We will take care of our little girl, no matter what needs to be done. :)
@MamaDux Hi! We know you will take care of Casey we have no doubts about that. Hopefully the vet will be willing to give this shot so you won't have to worry about egg laying till she is healed. Glad to hear she did so good at the vet.
Good to know Grandma Duckie is there to lend a hand if needed.

Hugs to you both and please call for help anytime you need us.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia - Thank you and hugs right back! :) Yeah Im just feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. 2.5 hrs of sleep will do that to ya. lol
But it will be okay. Still waiting for vet to call back.

@Miss Lydia - Thank you and hugs right back! :) Yeah Im just feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. 2.5 hrs of sleep will do that to ya. lol
But it will be okay. Still waiting for vet to call back.
Hopefully you can get some sleep tonight. And Casey too. I hear ya anytime something isn't right with our animals it's very natural to feel over whelmed. I have one[Buff] laying a huge goose egg double yolker just about every other day and that worries me. I keep telling her to cut it out just a normal size egg is all we want. I think we all have the night mare of a prolapse. I don't even have a vet close by that will see a duck or poultry.

Just sending a note to Casey and @MamaDux - thinking of you'uns.

@Miss Lydia - for a few days I had a dickens of a time - first BYC did not recognize the at sign, and then my keyboard would not make one in the browser! It would make on in the word processing software, but not Safari (browser)... Shut'er down, powered back up, and voila! I now have the at sign, and tags work again...21st century problems....

@Amiga - thanks so much; appreciate your advice/help. I asked the vet re: the shot preventing egg laying. She will check with her boss and the local large animal vets re: success rate, dosage and price and will get back to me.
@Amiga and @Miss Lydia: The meds are in the duck but let me tell you, vet assistant material I am not lol
Casey is quite energetic so swaddling her and even sticking her in a bucket while swaddled didn't work out great. She wriggled and got out of the towel, hid her bill in the towel folds (clever little minx lol). Finally flopped her on her back and held her down gently, and that sort of worked. Then I tried Tony's method again and simply held Casey's head and angled it upwards so she would open her bill and slowly depressed the plunger... Sitting on the floor the entire time while I am trying these approaches. Maybe I need to try the farm sink or a table... Will have to devise different methods to expedite the process. This will end up working one way or another.

@Amiga - thanks so much; appreciate your advice/help. I asked the vet re: the shot preventing egg laying. She will check with her boss and the local large animal vets re: success rate, dosage and price and will get back to me.
@Amiga and @Miss Lydia: The meds are in the duck but let me tell you, vet assistant material I am not lol
Casey is quite energetic so swaddling her and even sticking her in a bucket while swaddled didn't work out great. She wriggled and got out of the towel, hid her bill in the towel folds (clever little minx lol). Finally flopped her on her back and held her down gently, and that sort of worked. Then I tried Tony's method again and simply held Casey's head and angled it upwards so she would open her bill and slowly depressed the plunger... Sitting on the floor the entire time while I am trying these approaches. Maybe I need to try the farm sink or a table... Will have to devise different methods to expedite the process. This will end up working one way or another.
Well what ever it takes right?lol at least you got it down her?? It's not easy for sure.

How is she this morning @MamaDux .

Steady, loving determination
2764.png

Not tonconfuse matters, but I can give medicine by putting it into smashed peas. May or may not work with Casey.

@Amiga and @Miss Lydia: Update on Casey - dosed her this morning and it went much better. Last night it took 30 min.; today it took 10 min. We're both getting the hang of it now.

Casey tried to lay an egg this morning around 7am but after 3 hrs, a few warm baths and me lubricating her, nothing happened. While I was sitting on the floor, soothing her with strokes on her back and my voice, she climbed into my lap and draped her head over my shoulder. This seemed to relax and calm her a bit but still no egg... Finally called the vet for another appointment and loaded the kennel in the car. While leaving my driveway I noticed an egg in the kennel! Little stinker lol. There was no blood but I decided to take her to the vet anyway to see if she had prolapsed again.

I am thrilled to say everything is fine, no prolapse, I was told to continue to keep her environment dark with only minimal stimuli for at least another week and to discontinue one of the meds she gets at night. Also was told to still keep checking her reproductive area to make sure everything is ok. I feel so relieved right now. Casey also finally got some food in her; she was eating like she was starving lol. Now both of us are going to rest a bit. I haven't gotten much sleep since Sunday and Casey has been standing up this entire time. Hope she gets to relax now too..
Keep sending good thoughts and thanks again, ladies. Hugs!!

@Amiga and @Miss Lydia: Update on Casey - dosed her this morning and it went much better. Last night it took 30 min.; today it took 10 min. We're both getting the hang of it now.

Casey tried to lay an egg this morning around 7am but after 3 hrs, a few warm baths and me lubricating her, nothing happened. While I was sitting on the floor, soothing her with strokes on her back and my voice, she climbed into my lap and draped her head over my shoulder. This seemed to relax and calm her a bit but still no egg... Finally called the vet for another appointment and loaded the kennel in the car. While leaving my driveway I noticed an egg in the kennel! Little stinker lol. There was no blood but I decided to take her to the vet anyway to see if she had prolapsed again.

I am thrilled to say everything is fine, no prolapse, I was told to continue to keep her environment dark with only minimal stimuli for at least another week and to discontinue one of the meds she gets at night. Also was told to still keep checking her reproductive area to make sure everything is ok. I feel so relieved right now. Casey also finally got some food in her; she was eating like she was starving lol. Now both of us are going to rest a bit. I haven't gotten much sleep since Sunday and Casey has been standing up this entire time. Hope she gets to relax now too..
Keep sending good thoughts and thanks again, ladies. Hugs!!
I am so relieved to hear she laid her egg and had no trouble this time. How precious of her to climb in you lap and drape her head over your shoulder. Wish you could have gotten a pic of that. Sounds like everything is getting back to normal , hope you both can get some much needed rest.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom