Help!! Chick pipped at wrong end.

Patty2017

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2017
They are due Sunday 3/19/17, does he have a chance ? This is my 3rd try the first 2 were failures and i am so excited . Please any advise is very much appreciated:)

Last edited:
It was 67% now it's 71% , it hasn't moved in quiet awhile, but we do have 3 babies and they weren't due till Sunday

It appears your temperature was a little high and not all that pip hatch. That's where the saying Don't count your chickens before they hatch comes from. I had one do the same thing pip and zipped but never hatched.

Good morning Indigo, My temp never got over 98 or 99 but later in the evening my temp dropped a few degrees and my humidity rose,but that was after the malposition one stopped moving, and the top of his beak is out. I took the red plug out of my hova bator and got the humidity back in the normal range,as of now the humidity is 67% and temp is 97.5 I'm having trouble keeping temp at 98 or 99 at least

It is hard to find a accurate thermometer. If temperatures are low they hatch later or if temperatures are high they hatch early. At hatch time I like humidity to run from 67 to 72. That stops shrink wrapping. Which is important. You just have to play the waiting game now. My eggs are on day 20 and I have not seen any pipping yet they are suppose to hatch tomorrow . My hatch rate is 83% and hoping for that are better on these eggs But now I am playing the waiting game.
My temperature is holding at 99.7 F and Humidity is holding at 67% which is ok with me.

Last edited:
I have 4 baby chicks now, 3 were hatched yesterday evening and 1 this morning so Sunday will be the due date. So how do I get them out without risking the others that have pipped, what should I do?

I have four in the hatcher right now. Two were due yesterday evening, and two aren't due until tomorrow evening. One from each set has pipped this afternoon, but the one from the later set has pipped on the small end. Should I do anything for it, or just watch & wait? I've not had one try to hatch from the wrong end before, so I don't really know if it is dangerous.

Good to know. I'm glad things worked out for you and the chick. I'm about to embark on my first incubating adventure so I'm gleaning as much info from all these threads as possible. This is helpful should I end up in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom