Help! Chick stuck in egg

peepkeeper1

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2016
Alabama
I know better then to try and help a chick hatch, but this one chick has cracked the shell most of the way around and seems to be stuck. It's like he can't push out. He's been at it for two and a half days. I'm really worried that the membrane is dried to him. Almost all of the other chicks have hatched already. What can I do? Help please!

Check the hygrometer. Is the humidity low? (if it's lower than 62% raise it - higher than 70% lower it) If you think the chick's become shrink wrapped do this ; Take a piece of toilet paper and dip it lightly into oil (DON'T USE WATER!). Carefully dab the membrane (the zip), try to figure out where the beak is and avoid to dab there, otherwise you might drown the chick.

If the chick doesn't hatch for another 24 hours I would recommend a bit of assisting. The chick might be too weak to do it herself. If you're going to assist take a pair of tweezers and carefully pluck off pieces of the shell (preferably chipped parts) be careful not to rip the membrane. Dab the membrane with a bit of oil.

But I'm sure the chick just needed a bit of rest. Don't worry.

Check the hygrometer. Is the humidity low? (if it's lower than 62% raise it - higher than 70% lower it) If you think the chick's become shrink wrapped do this ; Take a piece of toilet paper and dip it lightly into oil (DON'T USE WATER!). Carefully dab the membrane (the zip), try to figure out where the beak is and avoid to dab there, otherwise you might drown the chick.

If the chick doesn't hatch for another 24 hours I would recommend a bit of assisting. The chick might be too weak to do it herself. If you're going to assist take a pair of tweezers and carefully pluck off pieces of the shell (preferably chipped parts) be careful not to rip the membrane. Dab the membrane with a bit of oil.

But I'm sure the chick just needed a bit of rest. Don't worry.

Thanks. It was shrink wrapped. I had to assist. It would not have made it out by itself. The membrane was so hard stuck on it felt like glass. I just used a bit of coconut oil to gently loosen it up and chipped the shell away. It's fine and dandy now.

Attachments

• IMG_3875.JPG
    IMG_3875.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 26
:clap great job, congrats!

For future reference, once they start zipping, they should only pause briefly for rest, but should continue to zip along, usually finishing with an hour, 90 minutes tops! If they really start a full zip and quit part way, you are usually ok to assist. Only pull the cap (air cell end) off, and let the chick kick out.

:clap great job, congrats!

For future reference, once they start zipping, they should only pause briefly for rest, but should continue to zip along, usually finishing with an hour, 90 minutes tops! If they really start a full zip and quit part way, you are usually ok to assist. Only pull the cap (air cell end) off, and let the chick kick out.
Thanks! That's good info.

Nice assist. You did good. :highfive: I was just wondering if the chick is ok now? The pic makes it's feet or legs look funny.

Back
Top Bottom