Help. Chick with white lump in throat. Wont eat.

Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
One of my chicks has a lump in her throat. After shining a flashlight down her open mouth, I spotted a big white lump in the area where I felt it. She doesn't have a foul smell on her breath. Just the white lump. She also doesn't have much of an appetite. What is this and how can I treat it?

Garlic can be added to your chickens' diet in a couple of different ways. You can float whole cloves in your waterer (mashed up a bit), replacing them every few days. You can offer crushed fresh cloves in a small dish free-choice. Or you can add garlic powder to their feed.

You may see articles saying that, because it's part of the onion family, garlic is poisonous to chickens. Not so. The make-up of garlic is entirely different and the element that causes issues in onions - thiosulphate - is present only in tiny quantities in garlic.
I was wrong go on ahead.

Garlic can be added to your chickens' diet in a couple of different ways. You can float whole cloves in your waterer (mashed up a bit), replacing them every few days. You can offer crushed fresh cloves in a small dish free-choice. Or you can add garlic powder to their feed.

You may see articles saying that, because it's part of the onion family, garlic is poisonous to chickens. Not so. The make-up of garlic is entirely different and the element that causes issues in onions - thiosulphate - is present only in tiny quantities in garlic.
I was wrong go on ahead.
Glad you changed your stance..i have been giving garlic to my chicks every now and them..they were pretty sick..respiratory problems n stuff..but since i started adding garlic to their water or just giving a small clove to them to eat, which they pretty much like..they seem to be doing fine..they are playful and robust now..also the poop smells much better..in lil quantity n after every 2-3 days its good for them actually. Building up immunity and treating internal problems.

If it's a fungal infection, garlic, turmeric, and VetRx won't cure it. You're going to need an antifungal medication such as Monistat or any vaginal yeast infection cream. You can purchase Monistat over the counter at any drugstore.

Not any decent ones

Attachments

• 0525210021.jpg
    0525210021.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 20
It's a little white lump in her throat. I have to get it at a certain angle with a flashlight and it's next to impossible to get with a phone camera.

Back
Top Bottom