Help! Chicken acting off, Breathing heavier then usual, laying down in random places?

Cluckcluck1215

Free Ranging
8 Years
Jan 21, 2016
Found.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Austrolorp Hen, 2 Years old, she will be 3 in June, She does seem lighter then usual, exact weight unknown.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I went to give my hen with a crop issue some medicine to help with her crop, when I noticed that my hen was laying on the ground, breathing slightly heavier then normal she is acting off, She is standing odd, And won't eat any kale I gave them, that is herfavorite treat.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I'm not sure, I just noticed it about 8-12 Minutes ago.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, Altough last year I had a EE hen that had her symtoms but was fine the next day.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Nothing that I can see.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I'm not sure, it's spring, it could be something in the air? It's really windy today, more then usual.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I don't know if she has or not. If she has, she would be drinking clean, fresh water, and Extra Egg Layer Blue Seal Crumble. I gave her some water withElectrolytes, but she hasn't drinken anything yet.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I don't know, I am waiting for her to poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Clean, quite housing in a dog cage, in a 60°F room, With fresh, clean electrolyte water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I need to treat myself, I have no vets that will take chickens.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
She looks normal, it's her behavior Thats off.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She lives a large coop with 8 other chickens and 1 duck. I have Pine shavings as main bedding, with a small pile of hay in the corner of the coop for my duck. Right now, she is in a dog crate with a cotton type pad, I'm not sure the official name of it, but it's what my mom used for when my dad was very, very sick.

How does her crop feel? You said she was having a problem with her crop. Is it full, hard or doughy, or puffy? Does it empty overnight? How long has this gone on?

Has she laid eggs recently? Her weight loss could be related to crop problems or a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or even cancer.

It can be hard to disgnose a sick hen. You are doing the important things for her with keeping warm, giving electrolytes. Hold a small cup up to her beak to get her drinking. Mix some really wet chicken feed, and also try some chopped egg.

I have had bad luck with crop problems, but @azygous has a good article and @TwoCrows has one also that may help.

How does her crop feel? You said she was having a problem with her crop. Is it full, hard or doughy, or puffy? Does it empty overnight? How long has this gone on?

Has she laid eggs recently? Her weight loss could be related to crop problems or a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or even cancer.

It can be hard to disgnose a sick hen. You are doing the important things for her with keeping warm, giving electrolytes. Hold a small cup up to her beak to get her drinking. Mix some really wet chicken feed, and also try some chopped egg.

I have had bad luck with crop problems, but @azygous has a good article and @TwoCrows has one also that may help.
My bad, it's not her that has crop problems. It's one of my other birds.

I have wet feed for her rn.

Back
Top Bottom