Help... Chicken attached by dog can i save her

It might help to see some pictures of the chicken. If it just happened, she's probably in shock. Keep all the wounds clean and make sure she isn't bleeding, but get her to a dark, warm, safe environment with no loud noises. It may help if you hold her, since she may calm down a bit if she can feel that you are calm. Simulate a mother hen environment as much as possible.
As far as wounds go, hydrogen peroxide is really good. Some triple antibiotic ointment is always a go-to for open wounds. You might also try some Blu-Kote spray, but if the wound is too open, this won't necessarily help. The spray is better once the wound has scabbed over and needs to just be kept clean. Warm water is also good to help clean and relax her.
i agree with the everything except the Hydrogen peroxide especially with deep or puncture wounds-Not that big on triple atb. cream either (just the nurse in me) Warm, Dry, Clean- nutrition and if deep or signs of infection IM Penicillin available at most farm stores-I keep a (sick-bay) right in my hen house -(a dog kennel) it will keep your bird in familiar surroundings while keeping her safe from further injury from the other birds. This i find helpful as there is no need for re-introduction as she is seen and heard by her flock. It amazes me how strong these birds truly are. Best of luck

Thank you everyone for all ur help. I have her resting. I will keep u updated on her progress. I really appreciate it. Some people think. Oh its just a chicken.. Not to me. They are my girls. I look forward to spending time with all 15. Some people just dont understand
Their defiantly NOT just chickens. My hens mean the world to me. Its devastating when something bad happens to any of them.

:weeShe is healing up nicely.. Im really surprised. Her skin is turning back pink and healthy looking. I let her with the girls yesterday to play in the yard. And they didnt mess with her. So hopefully 1 more week in the house. And we can keep her with the girls. What is the best thing to get her feathers to regrow?

She should eventually have some new feather growth once the wound starts healing well and scabbing over.

It won't hurt to offer some extra protein in addition to her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Poultry vitamins once a week for a few weeks too.

Back
Top Bottom