Help! Chicken quit laying after only two months!

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Hello- I have an Olive Egger chicken who started laying about two months ago. She has not payed an egg for over a week now. I have no idea why! She seems fine- pecks around with the other chickens, does not show signs of being eggbound, but does not squat much anymore either when I come around. Nothing's changed, feed, water everything is the same. Any thoughts?

Hi.
frow.gif

Day light is getting shorter... maybe she is just stopping for the season or slowing down.

Do you supplement lighting?

Time of year.

Lengthening days portend reproduction. Shortening days dictate the suspension of production.

Most of the time, when birds start laying in mid/late summer, they'll lay through the first winter but not always.

Last edited:
A lot of chickens are either molting or are getting ready for winter. The shorter hours of daylight usually cause chickens to lay fewer eggs, just a natural cycle. There is also the possibility that nutrition requirements are insufficient though this is often not the main or sole cause. Other possible causes are stress caused by changes in the environment, or she may be laying her normal amount but in a different location that is possibly hidden.

Laying in chickens can be affected by length of daylight, or use of artificial lights. It does need to be done correctly and consistently for it work. If done improperly it can have the opposite affect and cause laying to stop. Why is the light on for so long, they do need to get enough sleep too.

Yes, I keep light on in the coop until
About 10 pm
I would suggest you adjust your light hours to the the morning and let sunset take place naturally so the chickens don't get caught in the dark not on their roost yet. It is a lot less startling to have it come on in the AM, I think.
hu.gif

Many things can effect laying including possible predator sightings or visits at night.

ETA: I don't know about OE, but my EE have been inconsistent layers. Going for weeks on end with one day off followed by weeks on end and maybe a month off. Never could tell.
he.gif
Good chicken otherwise though. My OE that is Am X FBCM from a breeder is very different than my hatchery EE though. I can't wait to see how she matures!
smile.png
She is a beautiful blue.

Last edited:
We have had a couple cats in the yard so maybe that is the problem. I live in the city and there is a feral cat problem here.

Back
Top Bottom