WattletonsScrambledore

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2020
We already purchased this chicken coop:https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...Lock-Chicken-Coop-Up-to-8-chickens-p1269.aspx

We want to provide more room and create a run for our girls. The only issue is how do we safely attach the run to the plastic? I was thinking about we create something like this for the run:
1598475288402.png

For example maybe we put the run by the front door of the coop and the section would be shorter and close to the coop. We could make the hardware cloth and have everything attach at the base. But I am not sure if this would provide enough protection. Does anyone know a way to attach a run to the plastic? I don't think nails would be an option? We have the base and ramp built. If anyone has extra advice about building a run I will take it. I know we could put the coop inside the run but that would be the last option. Since that would cut the space that the girls have.

Drill holes through the plastic and run where you want to attach it. Secure it with stainless steel bolts and use large washers on the plastic side. You could also rip a 1/2 thick piece of plywood and use that as a backplate over the plastic where the bolts would attach if you want a stronger solution. I would do at least a 3” wide strip the entire length of where your run will attach to the coop.

I had this coop when I started, but it was too small for the amount of birds I had. I used 2x4s to frame around the pop door. Using very large washers, you can screw through the inside of the coop, into the 2x4s. Then you have wood attach the run and staple hardware cloth. Good luck. How many, what type of chickens do you have?

Welcome!
Agree, three birds max, and it needs more ventilation and light too.
It's sad that people buy these things, based on misinformation from the sellers. Having a roofed run, built predator proof, and added to this structure, better yet, surrounding the plastic playhouse, would work.
Mary

How "handy" are you? Are you comfortable building the run yourself? Since the coop you purchased was kinda expensive, can you afford to pay someone to build your run?
I'd like to point out that plastic is going to get really hot for your girls in the summer months. It would be the biggest reason I'd recommend building/enclosing the coop in your run with a shade providing roof. Actually simpler from a building stand point.

Back
Top Bottom