Help! Chickens disappearing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jacmiln, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jacmiln

jacmiln New Egg

Nov 29, 2015
    Hi! I discovered that a raccoon got into our coop one night and took a young silkie. No body, but feathers everywhere, up the fence where the coon climbed, and feathers in a tree nearby. We have since secured the coop at night. However, the chickens are in an 8 foot high chain link run during the day. Tonight when I did a head count, I found that I'm missing an adult silkie and a full grown Dominique. The chickens could not have gotten out on their own, and we have no stray dogs. What could this be? There's no evidence, either. Thanks!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That raccoon found out you're offering a chicken buffet. probably brought a friend. Or two. contrary to popular belief, they don't just hunt at night.

3. jacmiln

jacmiln New Egg

Nov 29, 2015
    But there was no evidence during the daytime attacks... No feathers. That's why I was wondering if it was something other than a raccoon.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    There were no feathers because your raccoon is getting better at his job. Time to invest in an electric fence.

Sorry to have to welcome you this way, but welcome to BYC.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Honestly, does it matter if it's a raccoon or another predator scaling the fence? Something is getting in there, and it really doesn't matter what it is, it's eating your birds. The method to secure your run is going to be about the same, no matter the predator.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

X2

We lost 7 ducks to coons this spring alone; only one lost feathers. That is in no way telling of what kind of predator it us, just that you have a smart one and need tougher predator control.

So sorry for your loss :(

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. jacmiln

jacmiln New Egg

Nov 29, 2015
    Well, the girls are in lock down until I can turn my coop into Fort Knox lol. We are completely closing in the run. How well did an electric fence work for you? Hubby just told me that he saw a hawk perched on our fence. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up a small silkie, but a full grown Dominique? Well, whatever it is, hopefully we can get the problem solved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by