Help! Chickens disappearing

jacmiln

Hatching
Nov 29, 2015
Hi! I discovered that a raccoon got into our coop one night and took a young silkie. No body, but feathers everywhere, up the fence where the coon climbed, and feathers in a tree nearby. We have since secured the coop at night. However, the chickens are in an 8 foot high chain link run during the day. Tonight when I did a head count, I found that I'm missing an adult silkie and a full grown Dominique. The chickens could not have gotten out on their own, and we have no stray dogs. What could this be? There's no evidence, either. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

That raccoon found out you're offering a chicken buffet. probably brought a friend. Or two. contrary to popular belief, they don't just hunt at night.

But there was no evidence during the daytime attacks... No feathers. That's why I was wondering if it was something other than a raccoon.

There were no feathers because your raccoon is getting better at his job. Time to invest in an electric fence.

Sorry to have to welcome you this way, but welcome to BYC.

Honestly, does it matter if it's a raccoon or another predator scaling the fence? Something is getting in there, and it really doesn't matter what it is, it's eating your birds. The method to secure your run is going to be about the same, no matter the predator.

Honestly, does it matter if it's a raccoon or another predator scaling the fence? Something is getting in there, and it really doesn't matter what it is, it's eating your birds. The method to secure your run is going to be about the same, no matter the predator.

X2

We lost 7 ducks to coons this spring alone; only one lost feathers. That is in no way telling of what kind of predator it us, just that you have a smart one and need tougher predator control.

So sorry for your loss :(

Last edited:
Well, the girls are in lock down until I can turn my coop into Fort Knox lol. We are completely closing in the run. How well did an electric fence work for you? Hubby just told me that he saw a hawk perched on our fence. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up a small silkie, but a full grown Dominique? Well, whatever it is, hopefully we can get the problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom