Help! chickens keep escaping! :-) How do I clip their wings?

Three of our chickens... keep escaping!:th:( My neighbor and I clipped their wings but they still fly over a 4 foot fence!...

Clipping a chickens wing is not intended to keep them inside a 48 inch tall fence. Anyway most non-fluffy butted chickens with clipped wings can still clear a 4 foot tall fence. And even if they can't top that fence chickens are very good climbers who can scale the Empire State Building if some forgetful person leaves a step ladder leaning up against it.

View attachment 1303434

But as everyone has said...works for some not for others ..this is a good start..then I do two wings..then I give up
Never GIVE UP. I do have a third option I didn't think I would have to disclose.
Chickens do LUV MUSIC. I have suggested putting music related posters inside coops. They work. Especially rock music related guitars.
guitar.jpg

If I clip a wing it is just one wing, always the right wing. I piked up a hen while buying a pullet. This hen walks up, the guy said "if you want her you can have her". "Her" being an EE, I took her, once home I looked her over, both wings were clipped heavy (OMG I never do that!) I watched her jump straight up 8 feet and land on the branch of a tree, and with those wings being stubs! I too have 4 foot fencing,,,
I have a large run, and it is mandatory the birds stay inside it (or they get killed). I only have to clip the pullets wings, the older ladies know where they belong. (They do not like to be chased down and captured in a fish net and then have their wings clipped.)
What are your birds going over the fence after? Can you supply that to them so they dont go over the fence?

Thanks everyone! Today i clipped one wing and i think Michigan will be fine. Yesterday my neighbor found her outside the run huddled from the cold. :(Right now we have 4 or 5 inches of snow and still coming down. I think i will check up on her every once in a while to make sure she doesnt escape! thanks again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom