Help chicks hatching Took too long goo dried to them navels not healed

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Ok, so I've had chicks pipped with big holes in their shells all day long. Finally I decided it was time to get them out. The membrane was dried to them. Their wings where dried to their heads, So I pieced them out. Some of there navels aren't completely healed. (it's day 22) Will they be ok? should I wash them up more to get the goo thats all dried all over them off? What should I do? HELP!

If you have them out and they are NOT bleeding, they should be fine. Make sure the water has some vitamins and electrolites in it. If you don't have any, put some sugar in the water to perk them up.

They aren't out of the bator yet. They aren't bleeding either, but they sure are a gross mess. All the goo is dried to them, and the humidity has been up the whole time too.

I had that happen to a couple of chicks when I hatched last year. I even nicknamed one of the chicks, "Mosaic" because of all the pieces of eggshell stuck to it.

As long as they can move OK, (wings not stuck down, etc) I would just leave it be for a day or so, until they are stronger. I remember holding little Mosaic and rubbing him down with a damp washcloth to loosen the stuck eggshell, once he was strong enough to tolerate it.

My little Mosaic looked like the Barney Fife of the hatch!
gig.gif

I had one last time too, but now I have 5?
barnie.gif
I was really good about not opening the bator too much too. Poor chicks spent about 24 hours in there, waiting on the other guys. I couldn't wait anymore and took them out, but I was really good

They look messy, but not much to do except give them time to fluff out. The navels will probably dry up and heal just fine. You could wash the worst ones in warm water or just let them dry first and see how much goo there really is.

I've had to help 5 out. There is one JG that's pipped and I'm really worried about it. Wondering if I should just get it out of there, or give it some time.

I had to help all of Charlottes out (one is splash BTW) They are looking ok. I think they are going to be fine. I'm just worried now about the JG and they are all in the bator still. I worry about them needing water from this long drawn out dry day.

Just hatched chicks can live off their yolk sacs for up to 3 days before needing food or water...it's best to try to leave them in for a whole day so they can rest and fluff up on their own.....hope this helps take some of the worry off of you.........

Last edited:
Well I knew they could go 3 days, but I got my chick's from MMH Sunday night at 9pm. So I got them really really fast. I got them water and the drank that, but they wouldn't shut up for anything. It was so bad that it was piercing my ear drums. I finally got the food in there, and they shut right up and wolfed it down. I didn't think they'd be that way since they weren't 3 days old yet. Maybe 1.5 days at the very most. So I was wondering if they could make it ok or if they'd rather not. Does that make any sense?

Back
Top Bottom