Help! Cracked beak!

Pics
I agree with Kathy, I wouldn't give him dairy right now...

I'm gonna try to put our advice into perspective, explain a bit about why we're making the suggestions we are...

It's been at least a couple days since he has eaten, he needs more than a slurry can provide especially being injured... tube feeding a balanced diet will go a long way to helping him recover quicker and less traumatic than him trying to eat with that injury... yes, animals compartmentalize pain better than we do, but any pain you can avoid the better...

Tube feeding is not hard, the mental part of it is the hardest... Kathy made a great thread on it and is willing to answer questions as well...

Also, since the core of the upper beak is exposed, you definitely want to avoid not only contamination that can cause infection, but also damage... the keratin can grow back over it, but if it becomes too damaged or it breaks off, then that part is gone... any way you can encourage better odds of his beak healing as close to what it was, the better... especially considering the drilling he likes to do...

Talk to your vet friend, if she can't refer you to a bird vet, she will at least know general supportive care for injuries/trauma and may even have additional ideas... couldn't hurt to ask at least...

I hope this helps and he heals up well...

My cranes has cracked the tip of his beak. He has not eaten for two days. At least I have seen no food gone. Not like him. He will only drink. He bumped it earlier today and it started bleeding. I'm sure he will eventually break it off. This happened once when he was younger but not as bad. I also am afraid it will get infected once it falls of. And of how much it will bleed.
For the food part, he will not eat a thing. Should I mix some egg yolk in his water? So he gets some kind of food. Should I use hard boiled egg yolk so he doesn't get any bad bacteria in his beak and in his blood? The pink line is the crack.
View attachment 1256797
Hoping the best for you both.

Its such a long beak I dont see why you couldnt open it from the side and dump a can of tuna or small fresh fish and he should swallow it on down. Just place about mid ways . Worth a try

Its such a long beak I dont see why you couldnt open it from the side and dump a can of tuna or small fresh fish and he should swallow it on down. Just place about mid ways . Worth a try

That actually is a risk of aspirating the food, majorly... tubing bypasses the trachea completely so there is no risk of aspiration... you just start with small amounts so he doesn't regurgitate it...

That actually is a risk of aspirating the food, majorly... tubing bypasses the trachea completely so there is no risk of aspiration... you just start with small amounts so he doesn't regurgitate it...
I was thinking the throat was very far away from the middle of the beak. I guess its a bad idea. Thank you Ravyn. Also it was mentioned to use antibiotic WITH pain reliever. Isnt that a bad thing too ? Unless I read it wrong..

I wouldn't do raw either.[/QUO
I agree with Kathy, I wouldn't give him dairy right now...

I'm gonna try to put our advice into perspective, explain a bit about why we're making the suggestions we are...

It's been at least a couple days since he has eaten, he needs more than a slurry can provide especially being injured... tube feeding a balanced diet will go a long way to helping him recover quicker and less traumatic than him trying to eat with that injury... yes, animals compartmentalize pain better than we do, but any pain you can avoid the better...

Tube feeding is not hard, the mental part of it is the hardest... Kathy made a great thread on it and is willing to answer questions as well...

Also, since the core of the upper beak is exposed, you definitely want to avoid not only contamination that can cause infection, but also damage... the keratin can grow back over it, but if it becomes too damaged or it breaks off, then that part is gone... any way you can encourage better odds of his beak healing as close to what it was, the better... especially considering the drilling he likes to do...

Talk to your vet friend, if she can't refer you to a bird vet, she will at least know general supportive care for injuries/trauma and may even have additional ideas... couldn't hurt to ask at least...

I hope this helps and he heals up well...
Tube feeding would be the best thing to do for sure.
@The Phantom
These gals know their stuff. Please consider the tube feeding as an option. I know it looks hard to do and scary but with the support you have here it would be doable :fl

I was thinking the throat was very far away from the middle of the beak. I guess its a bad idea. Thank you Ravyn. Also it was mentioned to use antibiotic WITH pain reliever. Isnt that a bad thing too ? Unless I read it wrong..

The opening for the trachea is in center of back of the throat, esophagus is to the birds right side... when injured or sick, they have a higher risk of not swallowing correctly thus the danger of aspiration...

Antibiotic with pain reliever is fine to use on birds, it is a myth that a little topical pain reliever will cause harm...

Back
Top Bottom