Help! Cracked beak!

Pics

The Phantom

I love birds!!!
6 Years
Jan 9, 2017
SE Wisconsin
My cranes has cracked the tip of his beak. He has not eaten for two days. At least I have seen no food gone. Not like him. He will only drink. He bumped it earlier today and it started bleeding. I'm sure he will eventually break it off. This happened once when he was younger but not as bad. I also am afraid it will get infected once it falls of. And of how much it will bleed.
For the food part, he will not eat a thing. Should I mix some egg yolk in his water? So he gets some kind of food. Should I use hard boiled egg yolk so he doesn't get any bad bacteria in his beak and in his blood? The pink line is the crack.
IMG_1947.jpg

My cranes has cracked the tip of his beak. He has not eaten for two days. At least I have seen no food gone. Not like him. He will only drink. He bumped it earlier today and it started bleeding. I'm sure he will eventually break it off. This happened once when he was younger but not as bad. I also am afraid it will get infected once it falls of. And of how much it will bleed.
For the food part, he will not eat a thing. Should I mix some egg yolk in his water? So he gets some kind of food. Should I use hard boiled egg yolk so he doesn't get any bad bacteria in his beak and in his blood? The pink line is the crack.
View attachment 1256797
Oh my goodness! Poor thing! I have no idea how to help but hopefully someone can give some advice for you soon :hugs

I would clean and disinfect it with clear iodine... then get clear pics... might be able to seal it up with NewSkin... any food that gets lodged into the crack and isn't cleaned out daily could rot and cause festering...
What do you think they should try to feed it for now ?

I know it will come off. After it breaks off when I am worried about infection. Would me breaking it off and putting blood stop and antibiotics be better than him breaking it off and it bleeding. With out any blood stop. He has to stay inside because of the weather. Super cold!!!! I can't watch him all the time so he could break it when I am not home. I can't glue it because he drills in the dirt. So it would break off then. Have to go to bed now I'll check the thread in the morning. Thankyou :hugs

I was thinking of just sealing it til the part broken that stays attached heals so it won't bleed out when the end comes off... but maybe @casportpony might have some more insight about removing it and stopping bleeding... I am thinking if you do that that bloodstop might not be enough... can't remember if the small cauterizing sticks are still available??

I would still look into tube feeding, it would bypass many infection issues and keep him fed while he is in pain...

I was thinking of just sealing it til the part broken that stays attached heals so it won't bleed out when the end comes off... but maybe @casportpony might have some more insight about removing it and stopping bleeding... I am thinking if you do that that bloodstop might not be enough... can't remember if the small cauterizing sticks are still available??

I would still look into tube feeding, it would bypass many infection issues and keep him fed while he is in pain...

He stands 4 feet tall so his neck is super long. I'm not sure how to tube feed a crane compared to a chicken. I thought of mixing egg yolk in his water since he is drinking.
If i do that will a hard boiled egg yolk be better so he doesn't pick up any bad bacteria from the raw yolk?

Back
Top Bottom