Help! Cracked beak!

The opening for the trachea is in center of back of the throat, esophagus is to the birds right side... when injured or sick, they have a higher risk of not swallowing correctly thus the danger of aspiration...

Antibiotic with pain reliever is fine to use on birds, it is a myth that a little topical pain reliever will cause harm...
Its myth ? :eek: sweet. This also talks about feeding through the nose. :sick

View attachment 1257588 View attachment 1257589

Hello there! I know this is a stretch, but as a nail technician and bird lover, you may want to try to reach out to any local manicurists or nail technicians in your area. While the soft tissue should be allowed to scab up and dry a bit, a seasoned technician may be able to sculpt a temporary repair out of acrylic or gel.

It would be tricky, but it can replicate a beak very well, and will just fall off as the beak grows. Here are some articles I found quickly on the subject.

http://birdvetmelbourne.com/beak-repair/

http://www.nailsmag.com/article/116386/injured-chickens-beak-repaired-with-nail-gel

If I were closer, I would do it for you! I had a girl with a broken beak, but I only used a little nail glue for the first night. She seemed to be eating alright and did not seem to show any distress. If it had been more severe, I would have patched her beak. Above are her pics from when it broke, it has completely grown out now and she is good as new.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thankyou but I don't think that would work. He likes to "drill" in dirt and other things. He would drill through the bottoms of yogurt containers. He would probably snap it off. Thanks for the thought. I'll let you know when I have a chicken with that.

What was his last weight?
I think around 12 pounds. I can't remember.
View attachment 1257601

Here is her after picture, all healed up. Look at that full crop too! Lol.
Wow very nice!!
I don't think he should have any dairy.
Ok
You know if it were me I think I would use the boiled yolk. I have no expertise. . I just like to be cautious. I would just do whatever you can to get some nutrition down him. :hmm
That's what I thought.
I wouldn't do raw either.
Ok

Ya that may not be the best thing for him right now to have anything that could cause loose stool. We don't want him to lose any good nutrients that they manage to get down him. :)
Ok

I agree with Kathy, I wouldn't give him dairy right now...

I'm gonna try to put our advice into perspective, explain a bit about why we're making the suggestions we are...

It's been at least a couple days since he has eaten, he needs more than a slurry can provide especially being injured... tube feeding a balanced diet will go a long way to helping him recover quicker and less traumatic than him trying to eat with that injury... yes, animals compartmentalize pain better than we do, but any pain you can avoid the better...

Tube feeding is not hard, the mental part of it is the hardest... Kathy made a great thread on it and is willing to answer questions as well...

Also, since the core of the upper beak is exposed, you definitely want to avoid not only contamination that can cause infection, but also damage... the keratin can grow back over it, but if it becomes too damaged or it breaks off, then that part is gone... any way you can encourage better odds of his beak healing as close to what it was, the better... especially considering the drilling he likes to do...

Talk to your vet friend, if she can't refer you to a bird vet, she will at least know general supportive care for injuries/trauma and may even have additional ideas... couldn't hurt to ask at least...

I hope this helps and he heals up well...
Ok. He is perkier tonight lightly touching things. Still wouldn't eat. Hopefully he will feel better after a good nights rest. I may try tubing him. I'll see if he is better tomorrow. :fl
Hoping the best for you both.
Thankyou :hugs
Its such a long beak I dont see why you couldnt open it from the side and dump a can of tuna or small fresh fish and he should swallow it on down. Just place about mid ways . Worth a try
I tried doing that with hard boiled egg yolk. He moved too much. But that was after the tip came off. Maybe tomorrow he will be okay.
I was thinking the throat was very far away from the middle of the beak. I guess its a bad idea. Thank you Ravyn. Also it was mentioned to use antibiotic WITH pain reliever. Isnt that a bad thing too ? Unless I read it wrong..
Ok
Tube feeding would be the best thing to do for sure.
@The Phantom
These gals know their stuff. Please consider the tube feeding as an option. I know it looks hard to do and scary but with the support you have here it would be doable :fl
I know.... I'll do it if he doesn't eat soon.

During this time, even though he may like it, it’s better to stick to healthy sugar free foods. Whipped cream and ice cream should be an extremely occasional treat, and fed while the bird is healthy. However, I know how hard it is not to spoil them :)
That is when he is heathly. He needs the good foods that aren't very tasty right now. :p

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but when my birds break/bust/chip beaks, we use antibiotics, pull of scabs, and when it grows long enough, fill it down to get it as close to normal as possible

Back
Top Bottom