HELP!! deformed ducking?

Sep 6, 2020
We had 6 ducks hatch. Thursday night one and the rest Friday morning. It is Saturday night and we have a duckling that needed assistance ( I believe). I know not to help them and they can take time but I believed this one became shrink wrapped and since it was later than the others (which I also know can be normal) I stepped in to help as I did not want it to suffocate. The ducking is now out and something is not right with it.

What do I do? I have it back in the incubator to dry off away from the others. Is there anything to do? Do not want this baby to suffer.

Please no hate. I really do not assist the ducklings ever but I thought it was right to and now I am second guessing myself. I honestly think I would have rather risk it suffocating if me helping it did this damage.

It honestly looks like just not all the yolk is absorbed but I could be wrong so any advice would help!

Attachments

• FB6F3EF9-72A2-4EB4-9DC9-1125EB268EBD.jpeg
    FB6F3EF9-72A2-4EB4-9DC9-1125EB268EBD.jpeg
    690.1 KB · Views: 23
We had 6 ducks hatch. Thursday night one and the rest Friday morning. It is Saturday night and we have a duckling that needed assistance ( I believe). I know not to help them and they can take time but I believed this one became shrink wrapped and since it was later than the others (which I also know can be normal) I stepped in to help as I did not want it to suffocate. The ducking is now out and something is not right with it.

What do I do? I have it back in the incubator to dry off away from the others. Is there anything to do? Do not want this baby to suffer.

Please no hate. I really do not assist the ducklings ever but I thought it was right to and now I am second guessing myself. I honestly think I would have rather risk it suffocating if me helping it did this damage.

It honestly looks like just not all the yolk is absorbed but I could be wrong so any advice would help!
That’s it’s yolk sac
Baby was not ready to hatch
If that yolk dries up it can cause issues
Place baby in a small cup or bowl so it doesn’t move around. Place dry paper towel Around baby not touching the yolk but to try and keep the air from incubator getting the yolk.
Make sure it’s not wet paper towel
Don’t use any water

Like others mentioned, small cup or tiny bowl with paper towel to keep it's legs from splaying, that the duckling fits in and fits in the incubator. You'll want to make sure it doesn't escape the cup. Leave it overnight and recheck in the morning. I can promise that you're certainly not the first this has happened to, so please try to not beat yourself up. Next time you'll know. (((hugs)))

That’s it’s yolk sac
Place baby in a small cup or bowl so it doesn’t move around. Place dry paper towel Around baby not touching the yolk but to try and keep the air from incubator getting the yolk.
Don’t use any water
Put the cup in the incubator ?

Like others mentioned, small cup or tiny bowl with paper towel to keep it's legs from splaying, that the duckling fits in and fits in the incubator. You'll want to make sure it doesn't escape the cup. Leave it overnight and recheck in the morning. I can promise that you're certainly not the first this has happened to, so please try to not beat yourself up. Next time you'll know. (((hugs)))
Thanks so much!! I thought it was the yolk sack but after researching more I see others have had this happen. Sometimes people on here can be very harsh so it is good to have supportive responses ❤️

Grabbing cup now.

That’s it’s yolk sac
Don’t use any water
So don’t want the yolk to dry up. Should I keep humidity in incubator high still??

Back
Top Bottom