HELP!!!! DO I ASSIST THIS PIPPED EGG OR NOT YET?????

jen61871

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
This egg has been pipped exactly like this for almost 24 hours. Plus as you can see, it is pipping in the middle if the egg. It is still alive-I just checked and just took this picture. The hatch started Thursday night and so far 21 out of 34 eggs have successfully hatched. Should I assist this egg at this point???? IF I should PLEASE in DETAIL tell me EXACTLY what to do. This is my first incubator hatch! And I'm scared. Also, for the remaining eggs not pipped or showing any signs of hatching, is it time to candle to see if any are alive? Thanks so much in advance!!!
IMG_7966.JPG

This egg has been pipped exactly like this for almost 24 hours. Plus as you can see, it is pipping in the middle if the egg. It is still alive-I just checked and just took this picture. The hatch started Thursday night and so far 21 out of 34 eggs have successfully hatched. Should I assist this egg at this point???? IF I should PLEASE in DETAIL tell me EXACTLY what to do. This is my first incubator hatch! And I'm scared. Also, for the remaining eggs not pipped or showing any signs of hatching, is it time to candle to see if any are alive? Thanks so much in advance!!!View attachment 1301213

here is a detailed guide on assisting
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

i need more info to make a call on what to do.

what day are you on?
still air or forced air, temp through incubation, current humidity. how many eggs are left how many are pipped, can you still see movement?

This egg has been pipped exactly like this for almost 24 hours. Plus as you can see, it is pipping in the middle if the egg. It is still alive-I just checked and just took this picture. The hatch started Thursday night and so far 21 out of 34 eggs have successfully hatched. Should I assist this egg at this point???? IF I should PLEASE in DETAIL tell me EXACTLY what to do. This is my first incubator hatch! And I'm scared. Also, for the remaining eggs not pipped or showing any signs of hatching, is it time to candle to see if any are alive? Thanks so much in advance!!!View attachment 1301213

I just went through this in the last 24hrs! I would leave it alone at this point. If there is still movement and the chick in the egg peeps once in a while I think you're fine. This was my first time incubating eggs, so I do understand how stressful it is. The one I had really started making progress once a couple of other chicks hatched. I too was worried that it would not be able to get out, but it sure did!
This article by @Pyxis is very good - I think I read it about 50times!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

here is a detailed guide on assisting
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

i need more info to make a call on what to do.

what day are you on?
still air or forced air, temp through incubation, current humidity. how many eggs are left how many are pipped, can you still see movement?

Friday would have been 21 days. It is a circulated air incubator. around 40% humidity before lockdown. about 78% humidity now. 12 eggs left that show no signs yet of hatching. Yes I see the egg tooth the chick is still alive in shell

Friday would have been 21 days. It is a circulated air incubator. around 40% humidity before lockdown. about 78% humidity now. 12 eggs left that show no signs yet of hatching. Yes I see the egg tooth the chick is still alive in shell
ok, give it another 24 hours it looks like it might have pipped straight to the shell. and not into the air cell. I've had plenty hatch on their own from this position. :)

I just went through this in the last 24hrs! I would leave it alone at this point. If there is still movement and the chick in the egg peeps once in a while I think you're fine. This was my first time incubating eggs, so I do understand how stressful it is. The one I had really started making progress once a couple of other chicks hatched. I too was worried that it would not be able to get out, but it sure did!
This article by @Pyxis is very good - I think I read it about 50times!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

THANK YOU!!! And yes it IS very stressful and joyous both at the same time!! I have hardly slept since they started hatching Thursday afternoon lol I am overjoyed at the amount that have hatched at this point!
How was your hatch? How many?

Back
Top Bottom