HELP!!!! DO I ASSIST THIS PIPPED EGG OR NOT YET?????

jen61871

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
This egg has been pipped exactly like this for almost 24 hours. Plus as you can see, it is pipping in the middle if the egg. It is still alive-I just checked and just took this picture. The hatch started Thursday night and so far 21 out of 34 eggs have successfully hatched. Should I assist this egg at this point???? IF I should PLEASE in DETAIL tell me EXACTLY what to do. This is my first incubator hatch! And I'm scared. Also, for the remaining eggs not pipped or showing any signs of hatching, is it time to candle to see if any are alive? Thanks so much in advance!!!
IMG_7966.JPG

This egg has been pipped exactly like this for almost 24 hours. Plus as you can see, it is pipping in the middle if the egg. It is still alive-I just checked and just took this picture. The hatch started Thursday night and so far 21 out of 34 eggs have successfully hatched. Should I assist this egg at this point???? IF I should PLEASE in DETAIL tell me EXACTLY what to do. This is my first incubator hatch! And I'm scared. Also, for the remaining eggs not pipped or showing any signs of hatching, is it time to candle to see if any are alive? Thanks so much in advance!!!View attachment 1301213

I just went through this in the last 24hrs! I would leave it alone at this point. If there is still movement and the chick in the egg peeps once in a while I think you're fine. This was my first time incubating eggs, so I do understand how stressful it is. The one I had really started making progress once a couple of other chicks hatched. I too was worried that it would not be able to get out, but it sure did!
This article by @Pyxis is very good - I think I read it about 50times!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I just went through this in the last 24hrs! I would leave it alone at this point. If there is still movement and the chick in the egg peeps once in a while I think you're fine. This was my first time incubating eggs, so I do understand how stressful it is. The one I had really started making progress once a couple of other chicks hatched. I too was worried that it would not be able to get out, but it sure did!
This article by @Pyxis is very good - I think I read it about 50times!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

THANK YOU!!! And yes it IS very stressful and joyous both at the same time!! I have hardly slept since they started hatching Thursday afternoon lol I am overjoyed at the amount that have hatched at this point!
How was your hatch? How many?

THANK YOU!!! And yes it IS very stressful and joyous both at the same time!! I have hardly slept since they started hatching Thursday afternoon lol I am overjoyed at the amount that have hatched at this point!
How was your hatch? How many?

My hatch is still going - LOL
Yesterday was day 21 if my calculations are right. The first one to pip was the one away from the air cell, it took it 24hrs to hatch.

I have a total of 3 that have hatched so far, looks like a couple of more are pipping:fl These were shipped eggs, so I'm happy so far, I do hope more come, but I will have to be patient.

This was what mine looked like to begin with - note it pipped on the other end away from the air cell. It made some progress throughout the night - I could see the beak, it breathing and it would take spells peeping like mad. I had to be reeaaally patient - I did watch the membrane too see if it was drying out and had Bacitracin on hand to apply if needed to moisten the membrane.
upload_2018-3-18_14-40-0.png

I've been through this this week. All my chicks from the incubator I've assisted. Helping is not recommended, but after two days having broken the shell, I helped crack the shell from the starter hole. The membrane had retraced from the shell and dried on the chick. I left the chick in the egg to allow it to come out on their own. But the membrane had dried stiff on the second chick, so I removed the shell cap, and carefully removed the dried membrane. This was hold the chick in, so helping was needed. But I did not take the chick out of the shell. There could still be some growth/developement needed. Keep a watch on the chick.

In previous eggs, I've had some never hatch, and opening the shell I found out they had developed fully but just could not break the shell. I think they died because they were able to break into the air cell and then ran out of oxygen. Therefore what I do is to candle each egg. I am looking for movement, and if I see the chick trying to break the shell, I will get a starter hole so the chick will not run out of air. Then I will let the chick finish the process. The last two chicks I had to start the hole. They took three days to come out. If I had not provided a hole for them to breath they would have died in the shell. Now they are walking around, eating and drinking with the other chicks.

If you do assist with the hatch, avoid using anything sharp. I use a tack to start a hole while canceling them, so I avoid hitting the chick. But after that, I have a paperclip I have shaped and the end is covered in non-toxic clear scrapbooker's glue. If you hit the membrane, it will bleed. At that point, stop, put back in the incubator, and wait for a few hours. Also, keep in mind the membrane has blood and nerve cells, so the chick is going to feel you injure the membrane. The processes going on in the shell takes a day or more.

Two weeks ago, I started a hole for one chick, then put her back in the incubator. After work that day, I found her running around in the incubator. She was a quick hatch, and all on her own after I made a starter hole.

What I've noticed, the membrane is slowly consumed by the chick's body through the umbilical. The umbilical is the last thing to dry up, then the navel will close. This is something you will have to watch. It is best to allow the chick to come out of the shell, even if you assist. I don't put the new chick in with the others until the navel is closed. I've noticed the other chicks will peck at the open navel. So allow the chick to dry up and stand/walk. Then it should be safe to put with the hatchmates.

I have an update on this chick, He hatched on his own!!!!! i took everyones advice and sat tight and not too long after my post he zipped right out!. Here is a picture of him. chick #23. Another one is pipping now and there are 11 eggs in the incubator that show signs of nothing yet. Day 21 would have been sat eve, but they started hatching on Thursday. So 22 out of 34 eggs have hatched so far, and 1 currently pipping. that makes 11 eggs 2 days late this eve. At what point do I candle to see who is alive?

here is a detailed guide on assisting
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

i need more info to make a call on what to do.

what day are you on?
still air or forced air, temp through incubation, current humidity. how many eggs are left how many are pipped, can you still see movement?

Friday would have been 21 days. It is a circulated air incubator. around 40% humidity before lockdown. about 78% humidity now. 12 eggs left that show no signs yet of hatching. Yes I see the egg tooth the chick is still alive in shell

Back
Top Bottom