HELP! Dog got sprayed by skunk, what should I use to get rid of smell

o yes! them jack russel that right there is a huntin dog! i got a chihuahua jack russel cross and he is terrible! hyperest thing ive ever seen! also he likes to bring home surprises(he takes off all the time) once i found a dead squirrel in the front yard
sickbyc.gif

I've used pretty much every concoction known to man for this and finally the thing that worked the best was using a bee smoker . I burned burlap in it and let the smoke waft over my dog. It got rid of the smell better than anything. Just be careful of face/eyes. Weird I know but smoked dog smell is way better than skunk! My brother's a bee keeper so I have access to one but you can buy them online... they arent' that expensive and easy to keep on hand with some burlap.

Nancy

I have a jack russel and he's been sprayed so many times and tomato juice does help alot soak her down real good and leave it on her for about 10 mins.and then shampoo her and it will be much better,and good luck with make a jack Russel do anything except what they want to do
lau.gif
sorry to laugh but been there so many times and it stinks I know
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
sorry no punt intended

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years ago when the four not so bright dogs that unfortunately have a dog door choose to play with the new black kitty with a white strip LOL. I washed them first with dawn to cut the oil of the spray then I used white vinger worked well.It also made them shine nice. Far better to have pickle dogs then skunk dogs LOL
By the way the youngest did not learn the first time and got it two weeks later AGAIN!

I have a schnauzer that gets sprayed constantly. I take a gallon milk jug and put one bottle of peroxide, one box of baking soda, a squirt of lemon scented dawn and mix it in the jug filling the rest of the way w/water. I bathe the dog in just the dawn by its self and rinse him and then pour the mixture over him scrubbing like mad:) let it set for 5 minutes and then rinse it off. It works great!!!! The only bad thing is that it bleach's out his hair and makes him kinda brown.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks everyone for all of the help and info. Things are much better now. I washed her off outside a few times before allowing her in the house, to get the worse off, since it was cold and we were both wet, I let her in the laundry room to warm up and as I got the bath tub ready. I used dawn and then I took some baking soda and wet it, making it like a paste and I rubbed that in real good, let it sit a few and then I added vinegar and when that foamed up, I rubbed that in real good and then let that sit a few and then rinsed her off. Then I used peroxide. I repeated those steps over and over for about 5 or 6 washes. I left her soak in it for few min also. It worked, took a few good washes, but all is well now, til the next time, which I hope is not too soon. Thanks again to everyone..................

As a biochemist, and a multi-dog owner!!! I found that the peroxide, baking soda, detergent method works the best. We have one dog that has gotten sprayed numerous times each year. She's black and white, must think skunks are her littermates!!!

Hopefully it won't happen again. But just in case, I keep a bucket with the peroxide pints, boxes of baking soda, and bottle of Dawn, and towels in the laundry room...I find it's good to keep it all on hand.

Lastly, skunk spray is a neurotoxin and if a dog gets enough of a hit they can get very ill, even lose muscle ability to walk or control bladder. If a dog ever acts sick after a skunk spray they should be seen by a vet immediately.

I found that they all worked well together also. I know that I was sick about the hole time I was cleaning her and pretty much the rest of the day. I just felt sick to my stomach during and afterwards. Is that normal for a person to get sick from it?

Back
Top Bottom